Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization

This topic is 5301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know what DirectX version Lamothe is using in his latest book. It''s out any day but I have trouble when it comes to modifying old DX code to a current version. Makes learning that much harder and it''s hard enough as it is! That''s my moan for the week pK

Well, since the book teaches software rasterizing, it''s probably not using any version of DirectX (except perhaps DirectDraw to get at the video).

If it uses DirectX at all it will be one of the latest versions, either 8 or 9. From what I have read though seems like he will be teaching you to talk directly to the hardware rather than using an API though. Guess we will wait and see, it is always sorting out the hype from the truth.

Doolwind

---------------------------------------------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life.
Matthew 6:27

My guess is he is using DirectDraw7 to get at the framebuffer. If that''s the case, there is no need to modify anycode to work with DX8 or 9. DirectX is always backwards compatible, and it wouldn''t be a good idea to use the newer API''s to get at the framebuffer anyway

I''ve pre-ordered it with Amazon.co.uk anyway. Not sure when it''ll be here though, I''m hearing a 3rd of June release date etc. etc.

One quick question(s) which just got my brain pumping..

Why is it not a good idea to use some of the later DX versions such as 8 or 9 to access the FrameBuffer?

Also why is it neccasary to access the framebuffer?

Paul.

Ummm... a lot of extra start up code that will in the end be unnecessary for what you are trying to do?

peace and (trance) out

Mage

In actuality you wouldn''t want direct access to the framebuffer since writing directly to video memory is slow. What I''m really getting at is that with DirectDraw, it''s quite simple to set up a secondary surface (backbuffer) in system memory, get access to the surface memory (which in effect becomes your framebuffer), plot all the pixels you need to plot, and then blit to the screen. In DirectX8 & 9, there is no update to DirectDraw, and you would be forced to use DirectGraphics (D3D8 or 9). I haven''t touched D3D for a while, but I''m quite sure it''s a bit more complicated to set up an envrioment suitable for plotting your own pixels than it is in DirectDraw.

So my assumption is that, regardless of which version of the SDK he is using, the actual code probably makes use of DirectDraw 7 for pixel manipulation. But again, it''s all speculation at this point

quote:

V. ADVANCED ANIMATION, PHYSICS MODELING, AND OPTIMAZATION.

How embaressing to have a mispelling in the TOC. Hopefully its not in the real book.

EDIT:

The book looks GREAT!! The sample chapter sold me. Well I was already sold, but it sold me for a higher price!

[edited by - haro on June 7, 2003 7:55:59 PM]