Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whirlwind

Age of Darkness Shots, and Misc. Meanderings

I just checked out the screen shots again at Age of Darkness (http://aod.xrgaming.net), and that one tree is nice. The terrain looks like it is coming along rather well. I can see why the tile set and on the fly map loading is going to be important. Desert, snow, and forest will be hard to cover in just one PR map. Also, a 1000 object cap (actually, I think this is memory based, or at least this number is assumed from the land1 demo) will put a damper on forests unless one uses a tree cluster model. Doing so will allow for the combining of tree tops into one object with the tree trunks as children. I have been playing around with texgen, DEM importing, and adjusting the texture ranges to see what happens. The DEM data looks ok, but needs some tweaking to turn out, but still doesn''t look hilly enough, not that real terrain is or anything. The waterlines turned out great - the shore faded nicely into the water. I might just end up writing a small piece of code that takes a 128x128 tga file with one set of colors and remaps the colors to grey scale. Some testing results with texgen: 470x470x24 - my 196MB beast started complaining about running out of HD space on the C: drive and texgen took a long deep sleep. 256x256x24 - no complaints, but the program went on a mental hiatus. I probably will try fields bigger than 128x128 or reducing the 256x256 bitmap down to 16-bit colors to see how that fairs. Tonight I am going to get the docs printed out at the local office supply store so I should start having a clue as to whether the terrain engine supports height fields of this size. An interesting thing about scaling the terrain up all the way is since the deformaion is based on vertex manipulation, firing at the center of a triangle affects a larger area since the triangles are just bigger. Just an observation that most of you have probably already made. This is just some info in case any one needs it.

In regards the object cap, this is just for the land demo, you can specify as many objects as you want.
It is however better to use tree clusters as it is quicker to determine the visibility of 1 cluster versus 20 trees.
I had some code that also took each child segment and repositioned it to the terrain height, submitted it somewhere, anyone have it?

Cheers
Darrin

Yep, the tree creation loop exits after 1000 iterations. Tree placement is limited to any z value > WATER_HEIGHT.

I didn't get back to my test last night since I was out until 8 trying to find a good deal on a pager that I can transfer to another state in 8 months or so when I move. The best price on one had a 'password' that only the service provider knew. They had better just give me a pager if they are going to mess it up like that. Part of the time last night was spent finding a place to burn of the PR manuals, since I don't want to spend 2-3 hours feeding that piece of junk BJ-200ex I have. One place wanted $2 a page - in otherwords, I could just have bought a laser printer.

I have emailed another place and with luck, I can get the manuals done for around $10-$15 US, which probably what it would cost me to have ChrisE print and ship them. I'll be checking the yellow pages tonight. How hard is it to find a semi-decent print store? Hmmm... this place wants written permission to print the PR docs (they are copyrighted) from ChrisE. Oh, talk about sucktitude.

How do you hole the landscape to allow for small subterrainian structures?

Edited by - Whirlwind on June 14, 2000 10:24:32 AM

Is Age of Darkness'' full title AoD:CoD? I am really looking forward to see what is done with PR with this game....

"Check out my progress on the Ge Game engine at GeGames.com"

Thanks, and I am. When are you going to have an animation of your spider eating that guy I keep seeing in all the screen shots?

quote:
Original post by Whirlwind

Thanks, and I am. When are you going to have an animation of your spider eating that guy I keep seeing in all the screen shots?

Well as soon as we revamp the character system so that its production friendly, ill make sure i do a special animation of that for you whirlwind..

Eric

Whoohooo!! You'd do that for me? Wow. Impressive!

On another note, PR just got a 'Daaaaang!!' rating. I have been massaging the 'Kirkland' DEM that came with PR. Not only does the map no longer look like Kirkland, it looks awesome. Adobe Photo Deluxe BE isn't the best graphics package out there, but it is doing just fine adjusting the height1.tga. I'd post some screens, but I want to adjust the water levels and play some more with the texgen terrain JPGs. With the scale all the way up, and a slight heightfield scale adjustment, the map looks great. Now I just need to add a map to the land1 demo program so that I can find the bay.

ChrisE, in the next revision of Land Studio, could you make the terrain cursor (those four plus signs) speed adjustable?

Edited by - Whirlwind on June 14, 2000 11:30:20 PM