Game Psychology

Started by
5 comments, last by mmarvi 23 years, 10 months ago
I am writing a shoot-em-up game similar to Raptor, and I want to know: are there any types of "mind games" that I can place in such a game to mess with the psyche of the player a bit?
Advertisement
Cup in ball. That game drove me crazy.... the ball... the string... string won''t move... won''t go in cup... ARGHHHHH

seriously, though, make one enemy very similar looking to another enemy, except, make it invincible but won''t shoot. It''ll drive the player nuts until they realize they look slightly different.
Take a screenshot of a really hard monster, and use it as a texture in a dim lit room behind a corner (on a position in the game where the player is supposed to have only a small ammount of HP left). Another nice thing is this: the player enters a room, the lights wink out and on the other side of the room he hears a monster scream, or (if your engine allows that) the player suddenly sees many red lights looking similar to glowing eyes, but actually being just some lights on a wall. Or simply tryputting a TV in one room, where the player can wittness a cruel murder.... Just watch some thrillers and that stuff, there are plenty of ideas in them....

NoNseNse
I''ve always loved it when you have a game that has keys or other items that you have to use often, and sometimes you get a key or item that doesn''t actually do anything... you spend the entire game thinking "what is this for?!" Then when you still have it at the end of the game, you think you missed something... so you play the game again trying to figure out what you were supposed to do with the widget or shiny key or whatever it was.
I also love games that let me smash things. Preferably glass things. Barrels work tho.
Music is extremely important, psychologically, for a game.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I played a game demo recently of Sanitarium, they had a great effect where you hear a scream coming out of one speaker, sounding very distant. The first time I heard it I found myself looking around the room I was in! I think good sound can do wonders for game psychology.

- Daniel
- DanielMy homepage
Atmosphere too. As in a good combination of lighting, sound FX and music. Aliens VS Predator was the first game in a long time to make my palms sweat.

/home/./~jumble
---------------

Edited by - jumble on June 15, 2000 6:02:00 PM
jumble-----------
I agree Felisandria completly. In Resident Evil, for instance, I got mad with a bunch o'' items. And that''s nice, tough. I think a nice thing to affect the mind o'' the player isn''t destroying him at one atack, but things like hard puzzles(not that hard, ''cos then the game gets bothering). I hope you can put it in yer game. Even Duke Nukem can have it!

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement