Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE HELP

This topic is 6392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using Borland C++ Builder and I am trying to make a tile-based game. I have some code already written for the attributs but I am having a problem actually displaying the map in my window. Any ideas?

Are you using GDI or DirectX?

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

JonBoy433-

I have been working on a hex-based games using Borland C++ Builder. I am working with a 3 year old Pentium 2-233, so unless you are aiming for quite a bit older hardware, this works well for me and should for you, I think.

I created a form with scroll bars that is the size I need for my map at design-time. The size can be changed at run time to let the user change the map size, if needed. I then draw the complete map on the form - my current map is made up of just under 10,000 hexes and 60,000 hexsides, which I draw from bitmaps with transparent areas. This whole process takes the program on my 233 about 10-15 seconds to draw and it scrolls smoothly after that.

I also currently have about 150 pieces that inherit from the bitmap button class, but I will be using over 2000 when I am done. Using these allows the pieces to be moved without having to specifically redraw the map - they are on top of the map as separate objects and so do not change that layer. I have also added code to scroll the map if you get to the map edges, or it centers on any mouse clicks on the map - all of this goes smoothly.

I don't know if this will work with what you plan, but it does the trick with what I am trying to do - a hex-based wargame.

There is also a forum here that just started called Turbo which is for Borland compilers - a lot of it is about Delphi but they do talk about C++ Builder there also.

RickyB

Edited by - RickyB on June 14, 2000 10:57:44 AM

Edited by - RickyB on June 14, 2000 11:00:14 AM