• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

What for a data structure?

This topic is 6605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys I code an octree data structure(Thanks to TCS)and I wonder if this data structure will be also good for a quake like ego-shooter.I don''t know whether Octrees or Bsp-Trees are better. Please help!

Advertisement
Well it really depends on the kind of things/world you want to render.

Indoor :
BSP and Portal are common use.

Outdoor :
Octree or quadtree depending on the terrain complexity.

Anyway you wan mix an octree with a Portal engine to manage both indoor and outdoor environnement.
This will help a lot.
I think that hybrid systems are best, mix the different technics to supress the biggest drawback from both.
(Each will supress a problem found in the other tech, that way you''ll be faster.)

You can do it two way :

_Octree managing portals. (I''ve not thought mluch about that but it seems to be hard)
_Portals with octrees. (I think it''s much more easy and will give you some benefit over standard octree in outdoor environnement [thanks to portals], and over portal in indoor complex environnement [thanks to octree])

Notice that I think that you must manage PVS (~possible visible sets) and NVS (Non visible sets) in your octree to boost you''re rendering process.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

What you say about NVS is very important. I''ve done lot''s of research on this topic. if you have a portal / octree based indoor / outdoor engine, and use NVS in some special cases, you can archive a very huge speed up...

Tim

--------------------------
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.glvelocity.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!