• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wings Of Icarus

I'm completely new here, and to coding.

This topic is 5653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HELP! I really want to start learning how to code (for games) but I dont know where to begin. I tried to download opengl, and directx but i dont know how to work them any help appreciated! thanks!

Advertisement
first off do you know c/c++? next of all, have you tried looking through the links, forums, etc? because as I see it, this site has nothing but a lot of code, and a lot of open gl and directx code.

Higher Forces

Right, first of all, whatv language do you want to use. By mentioning openGL and directx, i''ll asume that c++ is a good choice.

First up you need a compiler, you''ll either need to buy one MSVC or Borland c++ Builder, or you can download either the free borland tools or Dev-c++.(Use google to find links to these)

Next, get yourself a good book about learning c++. And learn how to program in c++. Then come back to games programming. It will only help you. An alternative to a book, that i would recommend is the online book at www.relisoft.com. I feel this gives a good grounding in datastructuers that you will need for games programming, while teaching the language.

Good Luck!

James

Heh, and you learn C++ by following the link in my signature

-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.

http://www.gametutorials.com

thanks guys for your replies. yeah I want to learn C++ and i''ve just got dev-C++ (though i dont really know how to use it) and i read on a website that direct x has good tutorials, but i dont understand how it works (i cant find any files after installation) i''ll check out those links that you have given me too. Thanks!

oh ok thanks. I''ve read that article about starting coding, and I think i''ll go out and buy a book! but until i''ve got the dosh, i need to find a good place on the net that will give easy to understand tutorials...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!