Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus

Started by
6 comments, last by jleonardbc 23 years, 10 months ago
I am reading Windows Game Programming Gurus. I would like to make a 2D pagescrolling game (like MicroMan, if you''ve heard of it). However, the sample in the book uses his BOB engine. I''d like to use plain DirectX to make it. Does anyone know of any examples I can download like this? Can anyone help me out? Is anyone still in school besides me?
Advertisement
Ummm... could you clarify a bit? If you want an example of how to use sprites with DirectX, that''s exactly what the BOB engine is. You create offscreen surfaces, blt them to the screen, etc...
I don''t quite follow what you''re looking for.
ive played microman a couple of times. (someone hacked it and posted the source on a website, i think). but the way i think it works...is first, it blits a background image to the screen, and then blits the objects to the screen like a tilebased game. and i think it finds the top, right, bottom, and left sides of each object (with a RECT, very simple collision detection) and then doesnt allow the player to move into the objects. (microman wasnt made with DirectX, also. it was made with a API called WAP that is really old). it sounds really complicated, but its not. if you dont know much about directX, i suggest you keep reading TOTWGPG.

by the way, i''d like to talk to the programmer of microman and ask him if there are any secrets. that game is addictive. ;]
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]
You should get a good tutorial about tile engines.

JoeMont001@aol.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Hiya,

What I''ve found mostly in the "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" is how to use DirectX. The BOB interface uses DirectX, effectively giving you a wrapper to help save you from writing your own.

If you want to write your own DirectX interface--which is probably a good idea if you''re just starting to learn all this stuff--the BOB code (and the book) would still make for a decent reference point

Good luck!

-Krylar
The BOB engine is great, but I want to learn the native DirectDraw commands, as opposed to an engine someone else programmed.
That was my point in my post above The BOB engine makes use of the ''native'' DirectDraw commands. If you study the BOB enfgine''s code on the CD, and refer to Chapter 7 in TOTWGPG, you''ll have a great starting point. Also, take a look at the source for Donuts in the DX SDK DirectDraw samples and see how they handle it for a different perspective.
Maybe you should look at the source of the BOB engine. It definitely uses all of the "native" code, OTHERWISE IT WOULDN''T WORK!

-Alex
I looooove programming! Even at my young age.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement