• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EdR

Interest in a plug-in script engine DLL?

This topic is 5575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m writing a scripting engine for my game, but the thought just struck me that it''s entirely portable and extendable by anyone who''ll write a couple lines of code. VC++ and Visual Basic support (I wrote the backend to play nice with the tile-engine frontend I wrote in VB). I haven''t found any real limitations (although a do-while type loop was a little difficult to implement). Would anyone be interested in such a thingamabob?

Advertisement
Erk. Yeah. (Sorry, posted half-asleep. )

Here's a very generalized excerpt.

#EVENT_BLOCK# Define_Initialization
DimSw Switch1
DimSw Switch2
DimC Counter1
DimC Counter2
#ENDBLOCK#
#EVENT_BLOCK# Check_If
IfAnd
#ENDBLOCK#
#EVENT_BLOCK# Check_If:TrueBlock
OKBox1 <thumbsup.gif|Both Switch1 and Switch2 are set true.>
#ENDBLOCK#
#EVENT_BLOCK# Check_If:FalseBlock
OKBox1 <thumbsdown.gif|One or both of Switch1 and Switch2 are set false.>
#ENDBLOCK#

That's a simple example of a basic AND operator type.

I personally designed this because I dislike Lua. This is not "truly" object oriented (which is not the be-all, end-all, thanks very much) yet, though I'm experimenting with ways to implement OO now. I also find that I can write in this faster than scripting in Lua, because since writing most of the game-specific functions is done by the programmer in his source files (I use a second .cpp file for mine), he generally knows exactly what everything does and if it's not well-named it's his fault .

It currently has only one mode of operation - interpreted - but I'm researching ways to also create bytecode-compiled ways as well.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar

[edited by - Edward Ropple on June 17, 2003 10:09:36 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!