Online Chat/Game?

Started by
8 comments, last by hogosha 20 years, 10 months ago
Ok, right now as I learn all I can of C++/OpenGL/etc.. I had the idea of just making a normal chat program that had avatars flying around and everything, maybe even get it to use the AOL servers wether they want to or not. But anyways, but included I thought maybe have little games that you could plug in. Just have a basic engine that included the chat application, but also have a scripting language included that would read in files, images, etc.. and let you do things like play games, anything that I know how to support. Now in using the AOL servers, i figure let your screen name be your log in, and then you just log into the servers, be able to talk to people normally and everything, but would be inside of the game. That is one key feature I have not seen game programmers do, add a in-game chat feature with different providers like Yahoo, AOL, ICQ, etc.. What do you guys think? Higher Forces
Advertisement
That would be quite a undertaking for just one programmer. I has also been done before. There are a lot of virtual chat rooms, one of the most popular is ActiveWorlds

Applying knowelege is the most important part though. If the project interests you I would say you''ve done half the work already.
nice, but one thing though, is it universal with the major instant message providers, and does it give games?

Higher Forces
They are called MMOGs (massivly multiplayer online games), they're almost impossible to make, and no, AOL won't let you use their server. You'll have to buy and maintain your own server, which is very expensive.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded harsh, but it's the unfortunate truth.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

If you see the image I am online

Check out PGNet.tk

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on June 16, 2003 10:48:05 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Well i wouldn''t really give them a choice. You would be simply logging into their server''s like you normally would, but the application would be doin the work. I''m pretty sure it''s quite possible. But MMORPG, naah, im not going for something like Everquest, just something for friends, or whomever you have on your buddy list. Like if you have something like SmarterChild that is a bot, then maybe it would be a MMORPG. But this would just be a private thing between you and your friends.

Higher Forces
This statement is absolutely ridiculous. If AOL noticed the traffic being generated by a game that used AIM as a transport provider they would find a way to filter the format you are using, and likely delete or block your players accounts. To say you are not giving them a choice with regards to a free service they are providing is just arrogant.

Now, if you meant that you were going to use the login service to check for logged in users, and then create a peer to peer session, or have a client server model so that a player could flag themselves asa server that would make sense. Then you are just using the AIM service as a broadcast system, which is kind of what it was designed for.

But don''t make broad statements about not giving companies a choice in the services they make. If you read the EULA for AIM it probably has all kinds of wonderful provisions banning exactly what you propose.

AIM has already changed its protocol more then once in a (failed) attempt to stop third-party clients like Trillian. They may not have any more luck with you, but it will definately be inconvenient.

There is a open-source IM protocol called Jabber that would be a better choice.

[edited by - Sakuranbo on June 18, 2003 1:20:06 AM]
it would have to peer to peer really. because to send IM''s containing the information may be kinda of annoying for those not running it. So yeah, in the end it has to be peer to peer. Unless I found some other way of doing it.

Higher Forces
Building in the ability to have it initiate via IM software would be really useful; perhaps writing a plugin for Trillian or building on the Jabber messaging system mentioned earlier.

P2P would be the way to go, but if you want more than two players per game it could get pretty hairy..

Writing a configurable server where you use the client to invite people to play via an IM, or post a public notice of an available server would be pretty nifty, but then if you are going to do that you should make the netcode as abstract as possible so that you could re-use the architecture for other games. At this point you are virtually implementing a battle.net style system, which, while complex, could provide a backbone for releasing a bunch of smaller games that offer a fast paced, and entertaining diversion (for a small fee)

I guess thta would be what I would do. Unfortunately I don''t have time
You should look into jabber, it's a pretty nice open protocol for chatting, and it tries to talk to aol icq etc already. Making your game work with those might not go over so well though, but you could definately write it to work with the jabber protocol. Jabber uses xml, so it wouldn't display crazy information for those without the software. You could probably get it where you could chat with people on aol or icq from within the game, but of course they wouldn't be able to play.

Edit: sorry didn't notice that someone posted on jabber already...

[edited by - saluk on June 19, 2003 6:28:03 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement