• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awf

Non English C++

This topic is 5477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was playing Final Fantasy X and thinking about how cool the japanese are at making games when I had a interesting thought. If they only speak japanese then how do they program in c++? Or do all the programmers know both japanese and english? Then this got me on to a bigger thought. Are there a versions of c++, or any programming language, that are in other spoken languages or are all the programmers in the world english speaking?

Advertisement
I doubt language has much of an impact on programming ability (as long as the docs are in the right language!) because in C++ the only functions that would be english would be the standard libraries and even then they are just names. I imagine that using standard libraries couldn''t be much harder for them as it is for us to read a program that has vague variable names. Japanese programmers probably do know english as it is taught in school there. As for more widespread use of english in programming I have no idea..

Good strong question.

If you were Japanese, how much English would you have to learn to program C++?

int
float
for
while
do
if
etc.

They can write their variable names in Japanese. I''d guess it''d probably take 10 minutes to learn all the English you need to know to program C++. They could read in their book that, "int means you are declaring an integer variable" (in Japanese of course).

As for the standard library, I guess maybe they could either have a Japanese standard library (maybe with macros), or they could just memorize that printf is the one you use to output text. Some of the functions don''t make any sense even if you know English (to the common person who isn''t a programmer). For instance, you just remember what atoi does, and don''t really remember from looking at the name and thinking, "array to integer" (or whatever it stands for).

quote:
Original post by Russell
For instance, you just remember what atoi does, and don''t really remember from looking at the name and thinking, "array to integer" (or whatever it stands for).

I always thought it was to convert ''alphanumeric to integer''.

There are certainly things where, when programming MFC or Win32 for example, it is helpful to remembering what the functions are for and what the parameters represent if you have an idea what all the cryptic names mean. I''ve tried using open source projects where the code is in German and it did my head in. I couldn''t understand what some classes were for at all

I am a programmer from austria. We learn from our books that the only way to make good programs is, to make them in english. So english is a big part in your life if you want to be a programmer in all non english speaking countries. But it is not hard to do this, because english is teached from the first class on.

with many greetings

Leukos

[edited by - leukos on June 17, 2003 3:07:04 AM]

[edited by - leukos on June 17, 2003 3:07:44 AM]

1) English is a relatively universal language. We Americans have pretty much forced it on the rest of the world.

2) Keywords can be thought of like symbols rather than trying to find meaning in the letters.

3) Does anyone know of a (non-joke) programming language with keywords/etc. in a non-English language? I''ve always wanted to try it.

When you don''t speak english, the only difference is that you have more problems to remember the keywords when you are a beginer. When I did my first programs in C++, I didn''t know the meaning of the "while" word, but I knew that if you put it in the program, you can do a loop.
Is like you try to learn programing in a languaje with this sintax:

MIENTRAS
{

}

or

SI
{

}
SINO
{

}

You only learn the keywords and use them, you don''t have to learn spanish to program in this languaje.

Sorry:

MIENTRAS (condition)
{
//body of the loop
}

or

SI (condition)
{
//if part
}
SINO
{
//else part
}

quote:
Original post by Way Walker
3) Does anyone know of a (non-joke) programming language with keywords/etc. in a non-English language? I''ve always wanted to try it.

Well, it''s kind of a joke language, but super logo has a dutch version, and I think it has versions in other languages too.

Do professional programmers in a non englsih speaking country use variable names and comments in english? I do that since a while, because it became very anoying to change everything when I had to post my code here etc.

My Site

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!