Non English C++

Started by
66 comments, last by awf 20 years, 10 months ago
We havn''t solved the problem of how they program in Japanese or even Russian and Arabic

I doubt Engligh people are the only ones who have written compilers
Advertisement
If I understand xaxa correctly, I agree. Looks terrible to have stuff like
float gewicht or if(gewicht > 150.0f) printf("Achtung! tubman naht!");
I haven't seen any language with non-english keywords, but there's plenty of code with e.g. Japanese or Russian comments (read: ASCII garbage).

[edited by - Jan Wassenberg on June 20, 2003 10:16:50 PM]
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3
quote:Original post by Cybertron
We havn''t solved the problem of how they program in Japanese or even Russian and Arabic

Bjarne Stroustrup, the inventor of c++ is from normay

My Site
quote:Original post by quasar3d
quote:Original post by Cybertron
We havn't solved the problem of how they program in Japanese or even Russian and Arabic

Bjarne Stroustrup, the inventor of c++ is from normay

My Site

Bloody hell...he's from Denmark and not Norway (which is, I assume, what you meant?)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

[edited by - rohde on June 21, 2003 10:25:48 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
oops, I''m sorry
but still, that''s not english

My Site
I don''t see any problems with coding in Cyrillic, it''s simply a different font.

There''s one thing I really wonder, though, for those who code in a language written from right to left. Do you actually mirror the code as well ? Does the binding and association rules still stand ? Ie. does a right-associative operator become left-associative ? If you think about it, that would be logical, but would render this code entirely incompatible to everyone else. I guess you can''t write standard C/C++ right to left. So how are comments, function names, etc, handled ?
A note on the British/US discussion, before I get back on topic:

It was said that most Americans are "patriots" - eg, blind followers. This may be partly a misconception. Try this logic:

A regime is strong if it has popular support. Since all regimes want to appear strong, they all want to appear as though they have widespread, even fanatical, popular support. All regimes, therefore, spread the myth that their subjects love them. Dictatorships are famous for this.

Like all governments, therefore, the US encourages the misconception that blind patriotism runs rampant. I''m not saying this is intentional, malicious propaganda; no, it''s more subtle than that. But they do foster, albeit passively, the belief in strong American pride.

That said, though, it''s not entirely false either. Recently especially, "patriotism" has been on the rise. You shouldn''t be surprised. Flag-waving has never been popular with the left; meanwhile you''ve got the right trying to amend the constitution to make flag-burning illegal. Now that we have a right-wing president, of course "patriotism" is up. The moderate left from which Clinton hailed has always been afraid of that sort of thing. I am too.

Now, back on topic.

One additional reason for the strong Anglo influence in programming languages is that much of the early work in computers was done in the US (though much of that industry has now moved to the far east). BASIC was invented at Dartmouth. FORTRAN came from the US DoD. Since many of these languages were invented in the US, it''s no surprise that they resemble English.

As for Bjorne coming from Denmark... now, doesn''t he live in New Jersey? Again, the US!

And on the side note of why English is the dominant language, it''s a combination of British colonialism and US economic power (with some industrial capitalist imperialism of our own). Of course, we should remember, we Americans speak English to begin with for reason #1: British imperialism. We were, after all, a colony.

The End.
quote:Original post by TerranFury
One additional reason for the strong Anglo influence in programming languages is that much of the early work in computers was done in the US

*cough* Britain actually *cough*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement