Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeltaVee

Modeling Software

Does any one have any suggestions on the best (and cost affective, i.e. possibly free) modelling software. I am looking to model various vehicles, large static objects (buildings and such). I am not to worried in human/animal modelling. 3D Studio is way to expensive, and most of the demo (commercial) packages don''t allow you to save. I really am not looking forward to handcrafting a 200+ polygon object by hand. Thanks in advance D.V.

Caligari TrueSpace 1 happens to be free download, former commercial soft. I still rather like it.
dont remember url for downloading anymore tho, i kinda remember it was somewhere on cnet ... ?

Hey, thanks alot.

I''m new to this and I had never heard of Caligari before.

Their Web site has version 2 - 4 for sale. In fact 2 and 3 are affordable, 49US and 99US.

D.V.

Milkshape 3D is free for 30 days, I''m sorry that I don''t remember an URL, but search for something like +Milkshape +download in altavista or somewhere else, I''m sure you''ll find it.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA

The specs to trueSpace''s file format used to be
on their web site, but I couldn''t find the
spec for version 4, although I have 3.

Has anyone seen it?

There is also student version of 3ds max

I think it''s like 150-200 us.

Bassicly the student license doesnt not allow you to publish things commercially. If you are at that level then you have some type of investment etc... to shell out the big bucks

I have Caligari Truespace 3.2. It was the best software purchase I''ve made, consider yourself lucky if you buy it for $99. I paid ~$400 when it first came out.

The file format is a breeze to work with. The program itself rocks! I wouldn''t recomend getting version 4 if you will only be creating realtime game models. All the features they added in the new version wouldn''t help you that much. However, If you want to become a graphic artist/animator in addition to game programmer then it''s a must.

trueSpace4
.scn & .cob file specifications

• tSX4.3
    SDK
    new_blink2.gif (6692 bytes)

• tSX4.1
    SDK

• tSX3.2
    SDK

• tSX3.1
    SDK

• tS3 .scn & .cob file
    specifications

• "You know you're obsessed with computer graphics when you're outside and you look up at the trees and think, "Wow! That's spectacular resolution!""