best game engine?

Started by
8 comments, last by pisceanbabe 20 years, 10 months ago
hi there, i am REALLY new to this topic - but I have to develop a game for my multimedia course...could anyone tell me what the best game making engine is for making adventure games or anything really. I dont have an idea for my game yet - so anything would be cool. I''m not going to delve into 3D as yet! Think I''ll just stick to 2D for the moment. Thanks!
*T*
Advertisement
A really good option for 2D games is to use the Allegro library.
Its pretty easy to learn so you'll be able to get something going pretty quickly and then improve it from there.

Go to - www.allegro.cc

[edited by - requiem14 on June 17, 2003 7:04:58 AM]
Allegro or SDL are good, but they aren''t game libraries, but multimedia librairies.
You can make your game engine with the help of these libraries.

the Seby
------------------------ - Seby -www.dfhi-bomber.fr.st
What is the difference between a game library and a multimedia library?
Would a multimedia library not be there to produce any sort of content while a game library is there specifically for games?
If thats true would Allegro not be just a game library while SDL could double up as a multimedia library as well as a game library.

Please explain ...I''m probably wrong.
Most games would require you to learn a programming language of some sort. Are you prepared to do that?

If you''re interested in getting a game working pretty fast without having to go over all the basics:

• Adventure Game Studio lets you build point-and-click adventure games like the old Lucasarts ones (the 2D ancestors of games like Escape from Monkey Island or Grim Fandango). Check out some of their demo games, there are some pretty fun ones in there It should let you get started on the non-programming aspects of a game - art, sound, design, etc - pretty fast, while still letting you get into the complex stuff later on.
  • DarkBasic is a powerful game system using the BASIC language (and, as such, is fairly easy to learn). It''s actually 3D-based, but if you think it would be easy enough I wouldn''t let that put you off.
  • Macromedia Flash powers many of the web-based games you see around the place (like mini-golf and so on). The principal focus is on animation (that''s what it was created for) but the ''ActionScript'' language it uses has evolved massively over the past couple of versions and is now pretty damn good.

That should get you started... the more information you give us, the more we can help you find something that''s right for you.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

>requiem14
In a game library you can found funtions for sprites, background, scrolling, collision detection... that you don''t find in a multimedia library. In SDL/Allegro are function to allocate video surfaces, to copy picture in this surfaces, to show this surfaces, ... to load and play sounds...

the Seby
>theSeby
Oh I see now...
So what is an example of a game library?
I don''t use game library, i usualy make my own engine (i just make 2D-games). You can find game-engines in the sdl web site
http://www.libsdl.org/ (for exemple freecraft for rts), in allegro.cc :
http://www.allegro.cc/depot/category.php?_id=11&request=1055854850&
or in sourceforge ...

the Seby
Thanks alot guys!
I think I''m gonna go with Adventure Game Studio.
It looks quite cool and I''m sure I''ll figure it all out.
Probably be in the forums alot from now on!

*T*
Though they are not really working too hard on it anymore, I made my first games with VERGE. vecna''s Extrordinary Roleplaying Game Engine. It''s 2D, tile based and allows for quite a bit of creativity. It''s run with VC, a simple scripting language. You can download all the tools, compiler, etc. at www.verge-rpg.com
I AM an Army of One... I just have 10,000 other Armies of One to back me up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement