Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeltaVee

Modeling Software

Does any one have any suggestions on the best (and cost affective, i.e. possibly free) modelling software. I am looking to model various vehicles, large static objects (buildings and such). I am not to worried in human/animal modelling. 3D Studio is way to expensive, and most of the demo (commercial) packages don''t allow you to save. I really am not looking forward to handcrafting a 200+ polygon object by hand. Thanks in advance D.V.

There is a nice tool called MilkShape 3D,
i actually don''t use it, but most guys i know
think it''s great.

But just have a look for yourself :
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d1x/index.html

There is Truespace 3D
Milkshape is kinda slow and buggy on my P2 400 or it''s probably just my own stupid machine..

There are others... i''m looking for Quake type modelling programs...

Strata3D Modeller is a free modeller. I downloaded it last evening and played a little. It seemed good and has lots of features.

Edited by - Neuro on June 16, 2000 10:28:11 AM

Edited by - Neuro on June 16, 2000 10:30:32 AM

I tried MilkShape, Strata, and several other free/shareware modelers, but none of them sufficed for me, so I''m actually doing my models by hand. I''m using the X file format, though, so I can occasionally load models-in-progress into these editors for viewing/tweaking.

I also tried Rhino (15-use w/ save trial), which is awesome for editing models, but it''s a NURBS modeler and things didn''t work out when I tried to convert my NURBS model to a low-poly-count mesh.