I need *YOUR* suggestions on my Game Idea. ;)

Started by
4 comments, last by gxd 23 years, 10 months ago
Hey there! I''m in the proccess of writing a RPG - type game, and I was thinking that I would be using an iso-metric tile format. But since i am working in a "modern environment" (ie. the setting of the game is in a modern downtown city) I am concerned about a few things. - If a building is tall, and the character is close behind that building, you wont be able to see him. - If you cant see the character, how will you be able to target him? - i''m not sure on how to draw the tiles, any tips? Obviously, i''ve got a lot more questions, and there are LOTS of ways of solving this. I''m looking for the easiest, nicest and most painless way of figureing this out. - I dont really want to have to resort to "rotating" the screen, because i just dont have the resources to draw so many tiles. - Should i consider making this a 3d app? With textured boxes representing the buildings? Anyways, let me know what would work. and please reply because I cant start my project without you! lol
Advertisement
In 2D isometric games the buildings in front of the character cover him and you can''t see him.This is what should also happen in reallife when someone stands behind a building.
Unfortunately this is messing up things when the building is really big in size(especially in width) and you walk literally in "blind"!

Now what most of game companies do is that they make part of the building transparent just to see where your hero is walking.
This is not realistic but it helps playability.

The same thing happens when you have to play inside a dungeon or a building and the roof gets dissappeard(you can see the rooms and characters inside the building).

Now you could use 3D isometric to rotate the view when posssible but i don''t know much about it and i''ve never played an isometric game like this.

As for the tile drawing you should check the isometric tutorials here in GameDev.They will really help you.
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
The key factor here is line of sight (LOS). LOS is very important when it comes to a game and gameplay. When a character is hidden from view, they''re out of your LOS. When you see them as a character in game, you should be able to see them as a player playing the game. This is a key element a lot of games lack.
Especially with an RPG.. you should incorporate some sort of "perception" skill or something else that fits into the world better. What this is.. a rating of your character''s ability to notice things. A more perceptive person can pick out shadows better. They can "see" things others can''t. This means that walking around and noticing someone''s foot sticking out around the corner of a building, will clue you that they''re there. Now, if you see them as a character.. you should have some way of alerting the player. Perhaps you''ll go ahead and have the character "uncovered" and the player can see them. Or perhaps you''ll just highlight the part of the character which is visible. A little red box or something. This tips the player off that something is there, but they''re not sure what. This can add a deep mystery to the game as well as providing pulse-pounding suspense Do you run around the corner shooting? or perhaps it''s a friend.. hehe
Either way.. you need to tackle this very real problem.
What i think you should do is just allow the player to be seen through the object.. or move the camera past the object that''s in the way. It depends on how you plan on doing the layout of the game. Also, if your character sees things back there, let the player see them as well, open up holes to let them see

I think from a programming aspect, moving the camera past the object is easier. Making a hole in a building requires making a transparent spot over the character, which moves with the character. If you remove only a tile, it''ll look artifical It''d hafta be done right.. and that''d be hard. lol You should prolly ask this ina programming board, as mostly here is design issues.. and you''ve got a programming issue
He''s been told.. so no one flame him ;p
Design issues are about the theories behind the games, and how you should work some aspect of the game, like the highlighting or showing hidden things based on the character''s perception skill. As far as which is easiest to program or design for.. that''s not our field.. hehe

J
Gangsters uses a kind of neat feature for this problem. The floors of a building disapears so that the player can see what is going on behind the building. More floors disapears if the player need to see more of what''s behind the building.

-------
Padrino
-------
-------Padrino-------
Thanks for the ideas!

I dont really want to get into the transparancy because i think it looks cheezy. (and if the GAME DEVELOPER thinks it''s cheezy, I cant imagine what the GAMER will think! lol)

Maybe i''ll figure out a way to "squash" the building to see past it.

I just dont want to start drawing 100 tiles, and then changing my mind.

gxd

ps. As for the ''flaming'', to my defence, my question was of a design nature not of a programming nature. but it''s ok, i appreciate the reply anyways.
Well if it is just 3d, why not changing the camara view, making the camara look from the other side of the building

I used to be afraid of the dark, until i saw the light.
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement