• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unreal

Please Help!Fragment_program

This topic is 5478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Guys of GameDev!!! I have some questions... Its about ARB_Fragment_program!!! I dont know very good about pixel shaders and fragment programs. I CAN NOT find any tutorial about ARB_fragment_program on the internet.Why? Do you have eny? URL? Now the questions: If I use fragment program for per-pixel Lighting I must use fragment program for all the stuff(Volumetric fog, shadows etc...) in my 3dengine? or i can use Fragment Program only for PPL and all the other stuff do it normaly? This is the things I want to do in my 3DEngine: Bump-mapping(Ambient+Diffuse+Specular+Attenuation+Gloss) Stencil Shadows, Reflections, volumetric Fog (I think it will be dynamic) Can I do only Bump-mapping with Fragment program and all the others normaly? Is there any url on the internet with ready Fragment Shader strings?(I mean the ASM Like Code) I maybe ask stupid things... But I dont know About Pixel Shaders. PLEASE Help! I have made my BSP Engine and all the core Engine and now I can''t continue... The only thing that I have to do in the 3dengine is the things I ask. plz help. Thank you Guys!!!

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Unreal
I CAN NOT find any tutorial about ARB_fragment_program on the internet.Why? Do you have eny? URL?

It''s a moderately new extension. Just read the extension documentation; it''s fairly comprehensive.
quote:
Now the questions: If I use fragment program for per-pixel Lighting I must use fragment program for
all the stuff(Volumetric fog, shadows etc...) in my 3dengine? or i can use Fragment Program only for
PPL and all the other stuff do it normaly?

Fragment programs replace the entire fragment pipeline. So you''ll have to do quite a few of these things. For more info, read the extension documentation.
quote:
This is the things I want to do in my 3DEngine: Bump-mapping(Ambient+Diffuse+Specular+Attenuation+Gloss)
Stencil Shadows, Reflections, volumetric Fog (I think it will be dynamic)
Can I do only Bump-mapping with Fragment program and all the others normaly?

No. Read the extension documentation.
quote:
Is there any url on the internet with ready Fragment Shader strings?(I mean the ASM Like Code)

Yeah. In the extension documentation.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I think the the're's an article on gamasutra that kind overviews the problem with combining certain rendering effects. Some work nicely on there own (but du to limitations can't be combined with other rendering techniques). I've just skimmed over the article so i dont know how much it applies to ur problem, but it might provide some useful insight:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20021002/sauer_01.htm

"I CAN NOT find any tutorial about ARB_fragment_program on the internet.Why? Do you have eny? URL?"

Humus's site is really good for this and has quite a few examples on ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAMing ( cant remember the link but i'm sure you can google it)

Before i say any more...

Disclamer: I haven't worked in a system where these techniques have been combined. Infact, i've only realized these effects such as (PPL and shadow maps) in isolated..and trivial demos). So I feel that i'm not very well suited to answer ur question, but i'l give it a try because i think this is an intersting topic.

You might beable to combine certain effects by rendering multiple passes and then blending them together others you have to integrate into ur Fp along with th PPL stuff or you can render certain things with per pixel lighting (such as lighting and characters) and other (such as water and mirrors) with some reflection technque, as for shadows (shadow maps), i can't see why you cant do it with per pixel lighting.

[edited by - _walrus on June 17, 2003 11:07:14 AM]

Ok... I start understand the programming "philosophy" of ARB_fragment_program!
If anyone have some tutorials plz post it here!
thank you

there are two powerpoint presentations on vertex/fragment programs avalable on opengl.org.

powerpoint: ARB_fragment_program

there is also a ARB_vertex_program powerpoint on the same site

this should give you a better understanding of the extension.

I can also reccomend delphi3d, it has several demos of fragment programs with source included. (don't let the delphi part scare you!)

[edit]fixed delphi3d link

[edited by - _Corrupt_ on June 21, 2003 5:55:40 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!