• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bender77

Deferred shading

This topic is 5657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi it's me (again) I'd like to start a thread on ... you guessed it : DEFERRED SHADING First of all let me give you a few links for those who don't know what the hell I'm talking about: deferred shading on google http://www.delphi3d.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67 the corresponding demo http://www.cs.unc.edu/~pxpl/papers/Shading95.pdf Specificaly, I'd like to discuss those points: 1) Implementation 2) Pros & cons (vertex transform rate, fill rate, multiple lights, multiple passes materials, etc) 3) Integration with shadow algorithm (shadow maps & shadow volumes). Note: maybe I'll introduce a (relatively) fast algorithm for doing SOFT shadow volumes (without duplicating a single light multiple times to simulate area lights which is really overkill). This algorithm is inspired from one to be published in ShaderX2 book this summer. (I've already implemented that technique, however it is not YET artifact free, I'll probably write a document on this subject and post source code/demoin a very near future). My demo runs at about 120 fps (radeon 9800 pro) with one "area light", however the scene & materials are really simplistic, but I think this technique will become practical in 6 month or one year on high end graphic hardware. 4) How to handle different materials with deffered shading. 5) Bump mapping (object space and texture space) with deferred shading. 6) Phong lighting & per pixel attenuation with deferred shading. 7) Optimisations (e.g.: scissor test on a per material or lighting pass) 8) Engine design and fallback strategies for deferred shading non-capable hardware. (If we assume we want the engine to support DirectX8 class hardware and lower. In my case I'm trying to write an engine which will only support dx9 capable hardware: GeForceFX+ , Radeon 97xx, 98xx and hardware to come) 9) Integration with other iamge space post-processing techniques like Depth of field, Glow etc 10) There is certainly an 10th point which I forgot. By the way that's enough to start an interesting topic for the moment... Finaly, if you know of some good related link(s), feel free to post them in this thread. [edited by - bender77 on June 17, 2003 10:46:58 AM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!