'Learn C++ in 21 days' - riight

Started by
17 comments, last by JamesBN2000 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
For someone who is currently reading C++ in 24 hours book, what a good book to read after that?

I''ve got the same question =/

Advertisement
Marjolein and AP:

check out the books that Lektrix posted. I have C++ Primer Plus (the one by Stephen Prata, not Lippman and Lajoie) and it's good; there are alot of exercises you can test your skills with.

-noix-

In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.

[edited by - noixtirdoe on June 18, 2003 4:48:24 PM]
In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.
I liked bruce eckel''s c++ book. This one is aimed at intermediary c++ programmer. I usually use the c++ standard along with ms c++ msdn docs for their compiler habits.
A good STL book would be nice to have as well. I use sgi/msdn docs and they have lot to be desired.

James, I also bought macmillan c++ kit that came with borland c++ 4.52 couple of years ago and I ran into the same problems as you. I spent a lot of time on bug fixing because I didn''t know all the ins and outs of a compiler and c++ syntax. But after couple of months I got the hang of it so it comes if you stick with it. You might want to post specific error code or code section that''s giving you a trouble. Also, don''t buy anything if you won''t take advantage of it now. Buy something when the need arises. The prices will be down and we''ll have a better tech. by that time. My four year old vc++6 with win98 do everything I need them to do now and in near future. Already, the vc++ 6 is a very powerful beast more than a novice can take advantage of it all.
I have the Accelerated C++ book and it is EXCELLENT! A heck of alot better than my college course book I used...

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
My own observation is that, when you have finished your first introductory book That teaches you, pointers, classes, inheritance, polymorphism and templates you are pretty much set to make it on your own.

After that I have managed to get by, by using the MSDN help and asking questions at this forum and others. Also lot''s of tutorials are available. I don''t expect a book to teach me to become a good coder. You have to be stubborn and not give up. That''s the way you really learn.

If you want after your first book and want to continue with games. Get yourself Programming role playing games with directx if you want to learn about the DX interface. It''s a good book on an intro level in DX.

Then after that you are on your own again
Ill just put in my 2 cents worth. I have to endorse the recomendations for Accelerated C++. After you are done with an intro level book, it makes a good step up. The step is still just a bit steep, but you will be better in the end. Some of the programs are a bit dis-jointed, but the author makes you work hard to get them together. You will be suprised at how far youve come when your done with it.

I have already ordered "Ruminations on C++", by the same author as my next step up. After that I will probably get a good reference and a good book about the Standard Library. There are some really great books around, though. Just snoop around amazon and you can read reviews before you purchase.

Wonderworld
"If you want after your first book and want to continue with games. Get yourself Programming role playing games with directx if you want to learn about the DX interface. It''s a good book on an intro level in DX."

I am going to get my feet wet in DX in the next few months, but I am very unsure about a good DX book. I was kinda put off by the title of the book you mentioned. How good is it? What can I expect to know when Im done with the book?

Let me widen this a bit: What is everyones opinion of the best 2 books for DX? What I mean is an intro level book and a book that you really get your hands dirty in.
Well, as already mentioned:

C++ Primer by Lippman,
Accelereated C++ by Koenig and Moo,

AND

The C++ Programming Language, by Stroustrup.

These three books (espec. #1 and #3) are EXCELLENT references and well suited for the experienced programmer. I simply can't recomend them enough.

EDIT: Spelling of course.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

[edited by - rohde on June 19, 2003 6:18:10 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
The C++ for dummies was good. I agree with what wonderworld said - that once you''ve got the mechanic, you have enough to work the rest out with the odd tutorial, MSDN etc for yourself. No doubt that all the other books are useful, it just seems to me that you learn faster and with deeper understanding by doing it than reading about it. FWIW, C++ for dummies was the only c++ book I read before programming in C++ professionally (though I did know other languages)
quote:Original post by WonderWorld
If you want after your first book and want to continue with games. Get yourself Programming role playing games with directx if you want to learn about the DX interface. It''s a good book on an intro level in DX.

I have OpenGL Game Programming, I wanted to start with that, but my video card is too damn bad to handle the OpenGL stuff
But it will be fixed some day

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement