2D First before 3D ???

Started by
1 comment, last by KuroKage 20 years, 10 months ago
HI! I''m just new to game programming, but I have taken my C++ skills to an intermediate-advance level (I have practiced OOP concepts a lot!). I was wondering since almost all games played today are rendered in 3D, is there any need to practice to 2D game programming first before 3D? Can you please recommend a book for me (whether 2D or 3D)?
Advertisement
use what you like better...
gtk is quite easy, openGL is easier, gtk+ is more easy...

you can draw 2d scenes in a 3d api, of course.
If you know the math, skip the 2d part
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Funnily enough, most 2D games are actually done in 3D these days - everything''s just aligned to be flat to the camera, so it only looks 2D. The latest versions of OpenGL and DirectX haven''t even bothered with seperate 2D systems - DirectX dropped its one (DirectDraw) two versions ago.

If you reckon you can handle a fair amount of math - particularly matrices and vectors - then 3D shouldn''t be too hard to learn straight away.

If, however, you want to hone your skills on the other parts of game development - and actually get some simple, finished games under your belt - then 2D often has fewer complications.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement