refresh rate in opengl fullscreen mode

Started by
13 comments, last by meeshoo 20 years, 10 months ago
hmmm i''m not so sure about that dmScreenSettings struture being for DX only, mainly coz its part of teh standard windows stuff... when i''ve got my framework up and running i''ll be testing it at different refresh rates to see if it does allow you to set the refresh rate properly and not just ask windows to select it
Advertisement
If the user have clicked in that the normal windows displaymode chooser should hide refreshrates that the monitor cant stand, then the enumration via win32API will hide them aswell.
the only solution is a third party tool that i''ve found on the net and it''s a nvidia problem and it''s not all u guys said before.the thing with dm... it''s for direct x.

Uhm. ::EnumDisplay.../::ChangeDisplay... etc. have nothing to do with directX. Those functions are part of user32.lib and work just fine with openGL windows...

The tool you mention is designed to fix things for nvidia cards. The problem itself hovewer is not vendor-specific -- it appears on my ATI card as well. For this, the third party tool is obviously not "the only solution". (or solution at all)
indeed, i suspect the problem is that games tend to relie on windows selecting the best refresh rate, which it no longer does... until someone proves that setting the refresh rate using the DEVMODE struct i still think thats the best way to go
I do set the refresh rate with ChangeDisplaySettings(Ex), never had any problem with refresh rate on these test systems :

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9500
ATI Radeon 9000 mobile
nVIDIA GeForceFX (forgot the number hah)
nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600
nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200
Matrox Parhelia (don''t laugh please)

Now of course might not work on S3 Virge, but afaik that API function has been around since 1995 (btw, it''s dangerous to select the refresh rate automatically - like the highest - as it might not work correctly).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement