Potential Field Pathfinding?

Started by
6 comments, last by wenching 20 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone. I just made a research and found out that Potential Field Pathfindinf was somehow a better approach over A* Pathding and Best First Search Pathfinding! But is there at least some samples codes on implementing it? Maybe some samples which can be run! Any help? I had seen enought pseudocodes, but maybe some full program running and with source code. Well, i want to try to read the codes, and implement in c#! Any help, please! Thanks. Regards, Chua Wen Ching
"Very new to games I think"
Advertisement
Where did you read that then? Do you have a link.

Both solutions have their good points and bad points. Sometimes A* will be best, sometimes using potential fields will be best, sometimes another alternative will be better. It all depends on your environment.

My Website: ai-junkie.com My Book: AI Techniques for Game Programming

I haven''t explored potential fields very much, but how do you handle knowing if you have a path or not at all without a basic graph search?

I can see the value for local pathing around objects, but I don''t really see how it fits in for larger scale pathing when the destination is important. Isn''t it a basic hill climbing algorithm?
As far as I know you cannot determine for sure an agent will find its way to the goal using potential fields alone.

I think Geta has experimented with this method though so maybe he has some good advice. Where are you Geta? Long time no posts!

My Website: ai-junkie.com My Book: AI Techniques for Game Programming

I don''t know where i see it!

Maybe in gamasutra or somewhere else in google...

Who is Geta?

I am looking forward for the best solution for pathfinding?

Anyway fup, do you have the comparision between A* and Potential Field?

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching
If fup didn''t make that clear enough, there is no *best*! I did a master''s thesis on navigation, and I''m still not sure what''s universally "best" (I know what''s bad though

You''ll benefit much more from experimenting yourself than us telling you anyway. So get busy...

keywords: vector fields, behavior based robotics, Prof. Arbib

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

Oh

Thanks.. maybe it is true.. i should test more...

So the keywords is a hint for me or it is just your signature?

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching
Potential Fields are just another example of situated activity ; a form of local horizon planning. It is certainly the case that such methods provide no guarantees of the global optimality (or indeed existance) of the plan (path), only local optimality.

As has been mentioned above, how you implement your navigation depends on your domain, the information you have at hand and the resources you can bring to bare on the problem.

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement