• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueChip

Microsoft VC++ @#$& my privacy?

This topic is 5478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi... why when I go on the Net, my Game.exe always tries to send data to: IANA (NET-MCAST-NET) Internet Assigned Numbers Authority 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330 Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695 US ??? [edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on June 19, 2003 5:05:46 PM]

Advertisement
Does your Game.exe use networking in any way? Cause the IANA are the guys who assign IP addresses so there''s probably a very good reason for a networking functions to access their servers (Though I can''t currently think of one).

quote:

Does your Game.exe use networking in any way?

mmm no, it doesn''t.
I''ve used ApplicationWizard, but I''ven''t used DirectPlay... O_o

If by "send data to", you mean your firewall has activated - check the IP address that it''s connecting to.

There are many IP addresses reserved for special uses. Some for example refer to your LOCAL machine. 127.0.0.1 is a common one.

Check whether the IP it''s connecting to is in a reserved range:
http://rfc3330.x42.com/

Programs such as debuggers sometimes use (reserved) IP addresses, even to talk to a program running on the *same* machine.

There can be a number of reasons why they do this:

a. it means that the debugger can support remote debugging without needing a different code path to the local debugging stuff.

b. it means the debugger can send/recieve data from other processes (remember only ONE process is running at a time - which means allowing the debugger to see the variables of the debugee isn''t as easy as you''d think).

c. DCOM/RPC/ActiveX - network/internet enabled technology used in many complex Windows software.

If the IP address that its connecting to ISN''T a reserved one, then there can still be other non-sinister reasons:

1. If you use any Shell functions, then you''re really using part of Internet Explorer. When newer versions of Internet Explorer crash, they send anonymous debug information to Microsoft (you do get the option to disable this) detailing the fault so that they can fix the problem in future versions.
If your code caused IE to crash, there is a chance that''ll send data to MS regarding the Shell component.

2. Also components of Windows and applications installed in Windows do check for updates (intermediate bug fixes) IF you''ve enabled auto updates.

3. Finally, as suggested, check for any components you might be using that have network functionality: DirectPlay?, DXDIAG with online WHQL checking enabled?, winsock?, any other component that might send QOS data etc etc.

If you''re still paranoid, pull out the network cable, install Unix (but only a version you compiled yourself), go live in a log cabin in the woods, cover your head and PC in tin foil, and hopefully that''ll stop MS from spying on you and stealing all your secrets...

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

quote:
go live in a log cabin in the woods, cover your head and PC in tin foil, and hopefully that''ll stop MS from spying on you and stealing all your secrets...

You forget the bubble rap :D

quote:

If you''re still paranoid, pull out the network cable, install Unix (but only a version you compiled yourself), go live in a log cabin in the woods, cover your head and PC in tin foil, and hopefully that''ll stop MS from spying on you and stealing all your secrets...

That''ll help!?! I''m off...

/me starts packing

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by S1CA

hey Simon, didn''t Ted Kaczynski already try that? and they got to him anyway! but thanks for the laugh. what i can''t believe is there isn''t a M$ to be found anywhere in the OP''s topic or post.

I don''t remember the exactly IP address, but it is a IANA (NET-MCAST-NET) Ip.

as I have already said above I __don''t_use___ directPlay, so my application shouldn''t try to connected with anyone.

the application always try to send data when a get the Net access...

I don''t want going to live in a log cabin in the woods, I would to know why an application try to send some data from my pc to other people that I don''t know without my permission

I suspect the actual IP may be 224.0.0.0 (that''s what a google search on MCAST NET turned up). In that case, 224.0.0.0 is a reserved address, used by routers to broadcast information to each other.

If you use Cable or DSL connection, this is probably normal when you first make your connection to the net. Are you sure it''s the Game.exe that is the source?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!