• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daher

Good GUI lib

This topic is 5660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve searched but I don''t think I can choose... Which one would you recommend?

Advertisement
If its for programming games or for use in OpenGL: Why don''t you make one by yourself? It seems a hard thing to do, but it''s actually very simple.

Just write a baseclass, where all gui elements get their data from (like mouse position and keyboard input), write a window class that uses the base class and write classes like buttons that use the window class. It''s actually fun to do (though I thought it would be a pain in the *ss before I started out). The only difficult part - in my opinion - is to write a window manager that manages the clicks on the windows and brings forward inactive windows when you click on it. It costed me two days of work to realize that a system with priority ID''s (like Windows has) is easier then a linked list. Though, a linked list is good to sort all the windows so you can render them when doing 1 pass through that list.

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]

For OpenGL, I like GLUI. Its decent for small to medium size projects.

Larger projects with GLUI require MDI design patterns, which I personally dislike. It works tho.

If you want to make a larger system, try mxwindows.

(hehe, cleared things up)

[edited by - dede on June 18, 2003 12:11:24 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!