• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of Sync

isometric map A* questions!!!

This topic is 5568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i have real trouble with my a* pathfinding code... i use an isometric map (like Starcraft or C&C3 Tiberian Sun). can anyone post some pseudocode and/or post some links to this topic, remember i need it for an isometric map, not squares. all links i have visited make me confused! thanks [edited by - Out of Sync on June 18, 2003 6:30:27 PM]

Advertisement
Hi, I can post the answers I got to my basic A* star problem here, he he

It doesn't matter that the game is *drawn* isometric like c&c you can still represent it in a 2D 'box' array.

What's important is how you generate your 'children' (perhaps you got that mixed up with the isometric-part) children is the fields you can get to from the current field (or node, as it is often called).

If you only can move up,down,left, right then you get 4 children. If you can move diagonally as well, then you will get 8 children.

How you *draw* it on the screen (2D, 3D, isometric, orthogonal projection or whatever) doesn't matter at all for the pathfinding.

I suggest you start with a smal 10x10 node pathfinding as an independent project just to get the hang of it - it's pretty tricky!

Good luck!
Ulf

[edited by - UlfLivoff on June 23, 2003 6:53:04 PM]

hi again,

first thanks to UlfLivoff for your opinion, i think i try an independent project...
it seems also that the heuristic is wrong, can anyone tell me what kind of heuristic to use?
i don't understand the "Propagate Down" funtion used in most a*-sources, too.

[edited by - Out of Sync on June 24, 2003 10:17:01 AM]

I used this tutorial :
A*
There''s a part of the tutorial that explains "heuristic" as well.

Janharal posted his pseudocode, and I got it to work

Here it is:

FindPath(startnode, goalnode)
add startnode to openlist
Path = NULL
while ( more nodes to search) {
find element (E) with least cost in the openlist
remove E from openlist
add E to closedlist
if ( E is goalnode) {
Path = BuildPath
break
}
for each neighbour N of E {
calculate cost so far (newG)
if (N is on openlist || N is on closedlist) {
if (existingG <= newG) continue
}
calculate estimated total cost (f) for N
if (N is not on openlist) add N to openlist
if (N is on closedlist) remove N from closedlist
} for
} while
return Path
end function

Hope it helps!

Ulf

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!