• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imbesile

Graphics Insight

This topic is 5481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone give me some insight on graphics? I see examples of programs out there that use bmp, gif, jpg, ... What is the best solution and what do you use to determine which graphic to use? Thanks. [edited by - jswidorski on June 17, 2003 3:48:54 PM]

Advertisement
I am not sure what you mean.

you could look at the Allegro library at www.allegro.cc

I want to build graphics into a game...What type of graphics would I use or where would I go to find out what types of graphics to use? Are bmp better than gif or jpg? ...You know insight into graphics...

Those are fileformats, not really "solutions". I''d say .bmp, .png, and .tga are the most popular for games, but you can use whatever you want. They are just different ways of storing info about an image. Its up to you to read the data and figure out how you want to draw it on the screen.

Bitmaps are basically raw, uncompressed, image data

JPEGs use a lossy form of compression (i.e. the file size is much smaller, at the cost of slightly deteriorated image quality)

GIFs are 256 colours and compressed (you'd be better off avoiding these for a game)

Any images you load into memory will generally be stored in a BMP-like format (that is, the raw graphics data) so the data does not need to be decompressed every time it is blitted. Your choice of formats really only affects image quality (BMP being highest) and required storage space (BMP being biggest), until you get into alpha channels anyways.

As far as I know, bitmaps do not support alpha channels (or have really limited support for them) and TGAs do.

My file format of choice is DDS. It's really flexible and has some nice compression options. As well, D3DX can load these files in one line of code

[edited by - glassJAw on June 17, 2003 5:04:36 PM]

quote:
Original post by glassJAw
Bitmaps are basically raw, uncompressed, image data

Actually, bitmaps produced by programs made in the last five years or so are usually compressed with RLE. It''s a fairly simple encoding, though.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!