• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonboym

Profiling in Windows 98

This topic is 5482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''d like to learn to use a profiler but the free ones I''ve come across (such as AMDs CodeAnalyst) require Windows 2000 or XP. The company that created one of the free profilers (LTProf if I remeber correctly) told me that you can''t profile accurately in Windows 98 or Windows 95. As I have Windows 98SE I can''t currently use any of the profilers I found so far. I''m using MS Visual C++ 6.0 Standard (no profiler in that edition). I''d heard Dev-C++ has a profiler called gprof but obviously not keen to port my programs over to Dev-C++ just for profiling. So opinions:- Is there a freely available profiler that WILL work well in windows 98? If not, what MS Windows based OS would you get for programming Windows ME, 2000 or XP? What I''m looking for is a system that is reliable and allows me to run games, MS Office and MS Visual C++ 6.0 and use a profiler. Thanks Jon

Advertisement
Can''t answer on the profiler but as for the OS forget ME. The choice is between XP and 2000. Go for XP if you want more compatability and 2000 if you want less bugs and annoying crap.

2000 can run most new games and of course all MS apps. However you may find things that just don''t work on 2000.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!