Bump Mapping

Started by
4 comments, last by Brownmonster 20 years, 10 months ago
I am trying to get reflections on my water to distort by using a bump map (similar to that of the dxsdk bump waves tutorial). I have managed to get as far as the projective texture ( which can be mapped onto the water properly, and at the minute it makes the islands look like they are ice bergs!) I have read into some simple bump mapping and vertex/pixel shading and am wondering if any one can point me in the right direction as there are no tutorials out there for this kinda stuff (none that i can find anyway!) Thanks in advance. Cheers, Monster. http://www.brownmonster.co.uk/
Cheers,Monster.http://www.brownmonster.co.uk/
Advertisement
Goto nVidia''s developers site, and look for Mark Kilgards paper on bump mapping, it uses the register combiner functionality.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Here's a handy link to that paper: A Practical and Robust Bump-mapping Technique

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on June 18, 2003 7:00:14 AM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Whoops, just read your post again. That paper I mentioned won''t really help you with reflections, but it''s good to understand reg coms and general bump mapping theory.

Again, on nVidias developers site, look for stuff on reflective bumpmapping. Thats what you want.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
All the time I hear people talking about "nVidias developer site"!! What about radeon users?
quote:Original post by VanKurt
All the time I hear people talking about "nVidias developer site"!! What about radeon users?

they have nice stuff as well, but more for dx..

and the theory is always the same..

and nvidias extensions (texshaders/registercombiners) are hell of a difficult thing to grasp => tons of papers:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement