free uml tool

Started by
12 comments, last by spetnaz_ 20 years, 9 months ago
does any one know where i could get a FREE uml tool, coz i really want to start propely design my projects
www.programmers-unlimited.com, try it, its not too bad.
Advertisement
a pencil and paper. That''s one of the major things UML was designed for.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
i''ve been using UML pad. It''s nice and slim and the only good freeware tool i know of.

Sneftel, u r right but also wrong. paper based systems have benefits, like they r not effected by power cuts but a computerized system is better

advantages of computerized system: easy to manage and edit, save and load (difficult to loose), many copies can be made, can made secure with encryption, can be imported to other applications which would speed up the design proccess (in this case), and finally and most importantly when u r creating big files with paper and pen it is difficult to go back and change a mistake while with computer system u just load a version of the file which was saved previous to this mistake
quote:Original post by spetnaz_
advantages of computerized system: easy to manage and edit,
Some pencils come with erasers. You can use them.
quote:save and load (difficult to loose),
You can put it in a drawer, and take it out of the drawer.
quote:many copies can be made,
...with a xerox machine.
quote:can made secure with encryption,
Can be locked in the drawer.
quote:can be imported to other applications which would speed up the design proccess (in this case),
Er, what applications are you talking about? I doubt you''re looking for a FREE codegen tool.
quote:and finally and most importantly when u r creating big files with paper and pen it is difficult to go back and change a mistake while with computer system u just load a version of the file which was saved previous to this mistake
See comment about xerox machine.

I will readily admit that computer files have many advantages. However, given that you''re looking for a "FREE uml tool", it''s clear that you are, at this point, taking only the first baby steps towards using UML in your projects. Put frankly, using a pencil and paper will spare you the gimmickry that you will waste your time on with a software solution. When you actually start writing decent, UML diagrams (it''ll be a little while) of significant complexity (it''ll be a not-so-little while) then you can plunk down the money for a good solution. After all. you really do get what you pay for.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
actually you are right, but with that umlpad some one suggested i can do a uml design way quicker then with a pencil, ahh!! the pleasures of drag and drop. I have actually used the UML pad just a second ago, and it does help, specially when you have 7 or 8 base classes floating around and another 6 or 7 classes that inherite from that.

but u r right that pencil and paper is just as good, its just not very quick and i dont have a xerox, i actually never heard of that before is it some kind of a photocopier?
Pen and paper is... okay. When I''m doing preliminary ideas, that''s what I use. The problem is that you (well, I) tend to have to redraw the same things three or four times, and unless you''re generous with the amount of paper you use, you often bump into other things.

A whiteboard is a slight improvement, although you need a pretty big one.

But if you''re on a team, or sharing things online, a tool is essential.

If it''s a short-term thing you can just d/l an eval copy of Rational.
Have look to classbuilder
http://home.hetnet.nl/~xvenemaj/ClassBuilder.htm
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/

I recommend that you check out Enterprise Architect. It is only $95 and has a free 30 day trial. You should really only use the product if you are planning to buy because once the 30 days are up the product is disabled and can not be reinstalled because of a file that remains behind in the installation destination. That said, it is a great product for the price and you should give it a try.
quote:Original post by spetnaz_
does any one know where i could get a FREE uml tool, coz i really want to start propely design my projects

What difference do you think a UML tool will make?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement