• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarmonkey

Newbie , but not fully a newb... need book

This topic is 5660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I need a book that will teach me more c++. Like the Subject said I am a newbie at c++, But i have had experience with it I have taken a course on it and can make text based games and stuff. I have gone through most of a c++ book, but when the course ended they took away my book so need another one (preferably an online one). I know the basics of c++ (cout, cin ) if/else/switch etc etc.. the basics can anyone help?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Marjolein
www.bruceeckel.com
Thinking in C++ online, free for download
Don''t know if it''s a good book, never read it

I don''t like it - but then many live by it. So it''s definitely worth trying out.

I''d recomment two classics tho'':

C++ Primer by Lippman and Lajoie

AND

The C++ Programming Langauge by Bjarne Stroustrup.

Two excellent books.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

do you think i should just go to openGl or should i go through the 21 days thing AND learn a bunch more? Does that have boolean statements and the really complicated shiz?

It covers almost everything you would encounter syntax-wise and goes to a reasonable depth into the standard libraries. BTW, boolean statements are no where near complicated.

I don''t know I just don''t get the boolean statements, and those damn class and string things really get me confused!

quote:
Original post by Scarmonkey
I don''t know I just don''t get the boolean statements, and those damn class and string things really get me confused!

whats so hard about a bool? its like.. the simplest type in c++.
think of it like a light switch.. on or off.
cept it''s true or false

booleen are easy
Think has an Int wich can only return two values, 0 or 1

And it use a macro for 0 and 1 ( false for 0 and truefor 1 )

So, you may have a function wich return a bool value:

bool IsEqual(int a, int b)
{
if (a == b)
return true;
else
return false;
}

int main()
{
if ( IsEqual(2, 5) == TRUE )
cout << "Hello";

if ( IsEqual(4, 4) == TRUE )
cout << "Hehe";

return 0;
}

This should print: Hehe
It''s really simple

Yeah dude, I suggest you buy a deitel&deitel book on C++, best books I ever had. Anyway also learn everything there is before moving on to complex GUI''s and advanced windows programming. Oh and if you don''t understand what a boolean is let alone a string, you have no reason to even learn the word OpenGL.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!