• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mintfresh

New to DirectX, looking for info on using Borland Builder, and some general questions

This topic is 5577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve just started learning, or trying to learn, directx. I have just finished my 2nd year of a degree in computing, and am looking into producing a game for my final project. So I have started to learn Direct X to give me a platform for producing my game. In my course we use Borland Builder 5 to develop programs, and that is where I feel most comfortable in producing code. So anyway, to the point. I have looked round some of the beginner articles and looked at the examples that come with Builder, and have so far managed to write a program that creates a DD object and a primary surface with a back buffer, and thats about it! I have a few questions. I think the version of the SDK I''m using is 7, is it worth learning to write code for this, or should I get the latest version? Are there any code resources aimed at writing code in Builder? What are the main differences that I needed to know, between Builder and MS Visual C++? What should I look into to learn how to make a simple 2D game using Direct Draw? I.e., what functions etc are needed to get some 2d graphics moving around the screen? Any help is appreciated, I hope that I don''t sound too stupid. Like I say, I''m new to learning Direct X and am not sure where to start. Thanks.

Advertisement
What is the main difference between CB and VC? From my point of view, there is a much greater amount of learning material for VC than CB. I''m not saying that as to DirectX, but in general. I read a few books on CB, but they were rather poor(there wasnt any choice.) From the point of view of tutorials, books, internet discussion; I would go for VC++ 6.

Its been a year since I read books on CB, this may have changed. Im not trying to down CB, it is a great way to create apps with a quickness.

I know I missed the heart of your post, but Im just getting in to DirectX myself.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!