Getting an IP

Started by
6 comments, last by TheLameDuck 20 years, 10 months ago
I don''t always have access to an internet connection, and so i can only rely on having dial up. This is a problem because, i can''t program multiplayer games on my machine without and IP address, and i don''t want to tie up the phoneline all the time. I have been using a router to get an IP address without connecting to the internet, but it had a change of hear and stopped working. Do i need to buy another router, which is really expensive, or can i use a hub or switch? Better yet, I''ve heard that you can just set your ethernet''s IP to whatever you want, and that will work, but I haven''t had any luck with that. Is that just a myth, or can i get It to work? Thanks a lot, Me
Advertisement
i think you can ask for a non-dinamic ip, but in other case there are some sites that can retrieve the ip for you, or look in the computer for
---------------------------------------------- "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"-Abraham Lincolnsleipnir a.k.a odin1985Leader of Crystal Atatrium @ http://atatrium.bluewolf72.com
I wonder if localhost would work without having the dialup connected. That''s 127.0.0.1 and you should be able to set up a port and talk and listen but I don''t know if your OS will need you to be online or not.

-solo (my site)
-solo (my site)
Yes, if you''re not on a public network, any IP will work.

However, you can use the reservered, private ranges, to avoid conflicts. The most common one people use is 192.168.0.0/16. Most subnet this further.

192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

Int.
Thanks for all your responses, but when i just set my IP, I still can''t connect through sockets or DPlay without an internet connection. Could someone please try connecting to their own computer''s ethernet card without an internet connection? thanks for all your help
Oh, you mean without a local network? No wires or hubs?

Just use your loopback address.

Or if you want to start with a name and resolve, go for "localhost".

Int
You can download something at www.ipmonster.com that will tell you what your current ip is if you need it.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Thanks for your help, using 127.0.0.1 worked for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement