• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RegularKid

BSP Tree Rendering

This topic is 5662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I just started learing about BSP Trees. I''m learing about the data structure to describe the tree and how to search the tree for which polygons to draw. However, I would like to implement this on the GameBoy Advance which has no built in polygon rendering features. Is it possible (or a good idea) to render polygons in code? If so, does anyone know of a good tutorial on the subject? I have searched on Google but can''t seem to find a beginners tutorial on how to do software polygon rendering? I''m sure I could use some shortcuts because my worlds (the game is going to be a wolfenstien/doom style first person shooter) will be a 2d grid that contains only square blocks (like the levels in wolfenstien). I have implemented a raycasting engine (complete with doors and pushable walls), but would like something a little more advanced (using the bsp tree to make the processing faster). All I need now is a way to render the polygons. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement
I think the GBA has an internal bliting engine with some
interesting capabilites (moderate).
If you''re looking for a software approach to polygon
rendering i suggest you go to google and search for DOS 3D
tutorials, and old tutorials written by demo-group coders.
Also, I know a bit of BSPT, from my course at Game Institute
(I never miss a chance to put some publicity on it, its
very good!), and I don''t know if you''ll have any real gain
in using BSPT. I don''t know if Castle Wolfenstein GBA, or
Duke Nukem 3D GBA or Doom 2 GBA used BSPT, maybe Doom 2 used
it, may duke nukem also use it, but for a game as simple in
concept as Castle Wolfenstein, you might want to use a diferent
aproach, one in which the relation between leafs and polys
isnt 1-1, but I digress, I''ll leave that part up to you, to
devise an hibrid culling algo for the GBA.

Good luck on your projects,

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams]
I Am Digerati.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!