Another problem:

Started by
2 comments, last by LessThanJoe 20 years, 10 months ago
I''m done installing XP and I have a nicely sized partition of FAT32 done, so now it''s time to install linux. I put the red hat cd in and it starts taking me through some instalation steps when it gets to the bootloader page I get a little lost. the options already on the list are red hat and dos...and I want to add an option for windows. I click add and it expects me to know which partition it''s on? How do I know this? Shouldn''t it be on the same one as DOS?
Advertisement
Odds are DOS is your Windows partition. I think you can rename it in the bootloader setup, if not, you can modify grub.conf after you install to name it something other than DOS, like WinXP or something.

Int.
Yeah, I''ve assumed that much...but would it boot XP when I selected DOS (easily renamed to Windows XP)...or would I have to select that, then type "win" every time?
I don''t know that there even is a ''win'' anymore in XP (I dunno, I use win2k when I use windows). I haven''t heard of typing in ''win'' for a long time.

DOS doesn''t mean you have DOS installed or that you''re going to get a DOS prompt. It is just referring to that particular partition. If you select it, it should boot up to XP just like normal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement