• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmg5

Certainly there is no need to memorize...

This topic is 5655 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Certainly there is no need to memorize every OpenGL routine when making a window! Am I right? It''s insane how long the code is on these tutorials just to create a simple window. I understand the drawing functions, however, and have memorized those. Basically what I am asking is am I on the right track? Whenever I want to do some graphics coding with OpenGL, I''m pretty sure I should just open up the code to create a window and insert the graphics routines. Right? Why is it that every post here says "n00b question" ? This is the BEGINNERS FORUM.

Advertisement
Forget memorizing any functions. It's nothing but wasted effort; after all, we have references for a reason. You will remember the most useful ones without even thinking about it simply because you will use them so much.

[edited by - micepick on June 17, 2003 9:41:17 PM]

quote:
Original post by jmg5
Basically what I am asking is am I on the right track? Whenever I want to do some graphics coding with OpenGL, I''m pretty sure I should just open up the code to create a window and insert the graphics routines.

Right?

Certainly, that''s the reason a lot of beginners use GLUT.

- CheeseMonger

Unless you want to change how it''s done...add new features, etc.

There''s no point memorising functions; just make sure you can understand how they work. After all, you might need to work out why it doesn''t work some day...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!