• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PartyOmNi

ok...

This topic is 5655 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know how to program in C++ and VB. I know Data structures and file structures. When can I start programming games???? I''ve been wondering what I should start with? WIN32API or DIRECTX? thanks/./.

Advertisement
Hi
If You did not read this, read it. It will be a good start i think.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/

after that try this one too
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/8569/GameJob.html
then there are links to other sites like this.

[edited by - Estor on June 18, 2003 2:56:27 AM]

quote:
I know how to program in C++

I''ve been programming in C++ for 6 years and I''ve still got a long way to go before being able to say ''I know how to program in C++''.

If you don''t know either of win32 or directx and haven''t done any windows programming I''d say ''leave it for the moment''. It will get in the way of what you want to do (i.e. writing games).

If I were starting out I''d use pygame (which uses python). Read the documentation and examples. Choose one of the games there that is simple and look at the code for it.

Actually you need some basic Win32 knowledge to begin the DirectX API. (i.e. set up a window and message handling)

Another option if you wish to make some starting games is SDL. I'm sure you can find some online tutorials somewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeFailure

[edited by - RuntimeFailure on June 18, 2003 3:48:58 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!