Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paralax

My WM_TIMER message dies -> animations crappy :-(

Hi there! Me, being rather a beginner, got a problem with my Visual C++ DirectX 7.0aSDK -main-menu code. I wanted the buttons to be animated, when they''re activated and so I set up a little loop with peek message, all the drawing stuff and some calls to DirectInput like GetDeviceState(...). Now, I wrote a linked list for my surfaces and finally all worked fine with my animations. But my problem is, that the animation gets interrupted, if I press any key. If I hold it and press another key, the whole thing just goes on fine. I have no idea, what I could do about it. I could use clocks, but I hope anyone of you helpful guyz out there has a clue and can help me with my problem. Thanx so much!

I take it from your subject that you are using WM_TIMER... this is probably the cause of the problem. I''d use something like GetTickCount() instead.

- Daniel

If you''re using WM_TIMER, then when you''re pressing a key, then the message processing loop go to the WM_ of the key and go over WM_TIMER. So during that time, your animations stop.

So like deakin said, you should use GetTickCount()

Darkening

The problem with relying on WM_TIMER messages is that it is a low priority message. When messages (events) are added to the message loop they are inserted into the queue before any other messages with a lower priority. In other words the queue is actually a sorted list.

WM_TIMER has a VERY low priority, WM_KEYxxx has a higher priority.

Use a Message Dispatch loop with PeekMessage and use GetTickCount() inside the loop for timing.

The down side to this approach is that if there a lot of messages in the queue that are result in a lengthy event process (i.e. saving/loading) your animation will grind to a halt.

The ideal approach would to create a separate thread. Make your thread sleep() for a specified time, when it wakes up it will be serviced at the next opportunity (usually within a few hundred clock cycles).