• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apouche

X File

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve done a beautiful ship () with 3DStudio , export it into a 3DS format and finally convert it to X format. But when I want to render it I''ve some big matters: Some objects of my ships are not drawn, some other are drawn but their normals are inverted and finnally with only 18 000 polygons I get 13FPS although I''ve a 2Ghz with ATI RADEON 9500 pro.... Why? The other thing I don''t understand is that in most cases, objects that causes matters are instances (when you mirror or clone an object on 3DStudio and you specify it to behave like an instance)... Thank you for help.

Advertisement
First suggestion is to load the file in mview and see if it renders correctly.

3DS files don''t contain normal information, so a lot of meshes start with some basic data problems when you convert 3DS -> X.

Assuming you''re running 3DS, and not 3DS MAX (where, you can just export to X), you don''t have a lot of conversion options to get from 3DS -> X.

I might assume you''re using conv3ds.exe to convert (are you?) 3DS -> X which has its own issues, but unfortunately I don''t have a better suggestion for a converter. Someone else might.

Development Lead, DirectX
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology

If you want to use your models in your game then you should create a low-poly version of your model. Your ship for PC should be in total around 1000-2000 max or for XBox can be up to 4500 but not more as you probably want to render some other stuff. If you use some decent culling algo then you can push even more polys.

Some invisible objects in your model must have normals flipped so make sure how you model it.

Try running in full screen mode. That could dramatically increase your fps (at least thats the case for me).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!