• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bouli

Terrain Generator

This topic is 5477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, Myself and a few friend are developing a small game and we are looking for a terrain/height generator that will allow us to create land similar to that of Diablo 2 or Baldur''s Gate. does anyone know any such program? We have a small budget so we can not spend more than £100 or about $150.

Advertisement
I use Bryce 4, it has an awesome heightmap editor. You can export the terrains, but they don''t look that good. The height maps though are worth it.

Theres also Terragen. I don''t know much about it though. Looks pretty good.

Go here if your interested.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

no,..... go here

There are two others which are very good,... but i lost all of my bookmarks last week and i can''t recall their names, so i don''t have a link for you.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I''m pretty sure neither Diablo 2 or Baldur''s Gate had height maps or 3D rendered terrain... Baldur''s Gate seems to have been constructed of many standard elements and carefully edited. Dunno about Diablo but it looks like it was tile-based.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Correct me if I''m wrong, but I''m pretty sure neither Diablo 2 or Baldur''s Gate had height maps or 3D rendered terrain... Baldur''s Gate seems to have been constructed of many standard elements and carefully edited. Dunno about Diablo but it looks like it was tile-based.

You''re right. Diablo II is tile based and the maps are generated by certain formulae. Baldur''s Gate maps were a solid, hand-crafted 2D graphic that got chopped up as necessary.

The only 3D pieces of Diablo II are the buildings, monsters, and characters. They were rendered in 3DMax and output into Blizzard''s custom file format (as 2D graphics).

He''s right, Baldur''s Gate is 2D. But the images could''ve been rendered using a similar program..

I don''t have a signature, sorry.

I know this, I simply want to know if anyone knows of a tool that could help us get something similar.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!