• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skow

Independent game development time

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve made several smaller games, that have taken anywhere from a few weeks to a month to make. Recently i''ve worked on a 3d space shooter, and ive been working on the game for 6 months, and i think I''m about 1/2 done. This is working about 5-25 hours a week on it, witha few weeeks off. I''m just wondering about those who are working on their own games; whats the longist you have worked on a game. Am I aiming to large for a game made by 1 persion? Just starting to wonder if ill ever get done Just seeing how many others are working endlessly on a game.

Advertisement
Well for me it took anywhere from a few hours (a MessageBox generator,not even OpenGL,hehe), to 5 months of developing an engine that was actually based on pieces from another engine(s) from the past,so I should say another few months added...
You can see my work at F->Final Dream,if you haven`t already...

Ok, I''ve been working on my engine for over a year now. Well, from its very first incarnation ( though, there''s nothing left of it in the code anymore ), for over two years... And it''s still no where near done.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

Usually when I create a game it's an ongoing process since I keep trying to make it better. Onen full game I made (Spherical Vengeance) took around 4 months to do the game (Fixed it up a bit a few times after that, but the gameplay was time in that time frame). My longest game that I've been working on is probably the hockey game (going on 4 years now). Of course, off and on - mostly off, but it's still technically being worked on - and it is a HUGE project

[edited by - lp23 on June 19, 2003 4:35:45 PM]

When I started at my game I planned to complete it in two years.
By looking at it now, I see I am very late on schedule.

Now it has been around six months only to develop the technology needed to write the editor... which is still at 0%. This told me I need something even more advanced to solve some ugly problems in the interface.
Running from 6 months.
Planned 2 years (to get the basics running, not counting evolution and content creation)
Now I plan the next step alone to require all the remaining 2003 (which is, another 6 months) I think it will now need at least 3 years.

its taking me a long time to write my map editor (6 months so far) glad to know that others are going the same speed! I was starting to wonder about my self
---------------------------
The pipes clangor all the time.

[edited by - pipes clangor on June 20, 2003 4:24:01 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!