Chess Question... Pawn to Queen!

Started by
44 comments, last by Moondoggy 20 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by Bovine Supremacy NOW
The Queen can''t move like a rook, and it is fine to have more than one queen. Maybe you should look up the official rules.
Ahem...maybe YOU should read the rules, because a queen CAN move just like a rook (and then some).

Advertisement
I personaly like the idea of a pop up screen that lets you choose in the format like this

Chess Peice

<- ->
OK

The idea is to have the chess peice spinning in the position marked Chess Peice and when an arrow is clicked the next peice takes its place. When you hit the Confirm button it oks your choice with a pop up window asking Do you want to choose the Queen.

I know this is work but work is good for you. You dont want a crappy Game do you

if I need help, alot of help;
goto forum
Go to my home pagehttp://angelfire.com/games5/risingsuninc
quote:Original post by Code-Junkie
What you were asking makes sense Sander. If all you have lost is a couple pawns, a rook, and a bishop, how can one of them be transformed into a Queen? Do you just put the rook (or whatever piece you want) on the board and say "it''s a queen", and then try to remember it''s a queen the rest of the game? That doesn''t sound right to me, and I''ve never seen a chess set that came with extra queens just for piece promotion purposes. I''m not a chess expert, but just calling it a queen does not sound logical to me.

I have 3 sets of chess pieces so queens to spare Anyway, next time I play chess against my friend I am definately going to get the extra queens.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

quote:Original post by Raloth
I once saw a great AI (or what I thought was). It had like 4 queens against the other guy''s single king and went to go get another one... It ended in a stalemate when it would have been a checkmate had it gotten a knight.

Surely that must have been the WORST AI ever, against a single king checkmate is easy with just 2 queens, or even 2 rooks.
Speaking of terrible AI - some problems can crop up easier than you think causing your program to look retarded. For example, I remember the old Chess88 game I used to play, it would quit its search as soon as it found mate, so this introduced a problem of repetition of position (since it did not check for this - this is another thing your program should have), because sometimes the first mate a program finds is not the quickest mate (especially due to search extensions from checking), so I could routinely draw against it, and it would announce a ''mate in 2'' every move (back when I had just learned the rules of chess, as the program is not very hard to beat).

Jason Doucette - online resume page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects / games | real-time graphics | artificial intelligence | world records | wallpapers / desktops / backgrounds
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
quote:Original post by Code-Junkie
What you were asking makes sense Sander. If all you have lost is a couple pawns, a rook, and a bishop, how can one of them be transformed into a Queen? Do you just put the rook (or whatever piece you want) on the board and say "it''s a queen", and then try to remember it''s a queen the rest of the game?

Often, players will place an inverted rook and call it queen, sometimes you can get collars to put on the pawn, or possibly just use a coin instead of a piece.

If you think about your proposition, what should happen if the promoting player has not lost any major pieces? Are you suggesting that they are not permitted to promote at all?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement