Chess Question... Pawn to Queen!

Started by
44 comments, last by Moondoggy 20 years, 10 months ago
You don''t need fancy dialogs and buttons. Just draw a picture of the available pieces and some text instructing the player to click on which one he wants to promote the pawn to. If you have a working engine, you already have code to handle piece selection, so this should be a piece of cake.
Advertisement
There could happend that to win the game in two moves you could need a horse instead of a queen... and logically, you will transform your pawn into a horse.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Xaxa did you even read any of the other posts??

I now know the two situations where a piece other than the queen may be a desirable transform, but at ''the moment'' I have bigger priorities and issues that I need to resolve first.

Like I said before I have put it onto my "upgrade list" that I will attend to it after I am happy that I have made a suitable implementation of the whole game.

Oh and Dave Hunt, your solution seems the simplest I have come across so far but I still think it would look ugly and messy to just have pictures appear somewhere in the application window. You do know that it is a 3D application with moving camera and all, I can''t quite understand where in the window would be a good place to draw these pictures of the pieces that you state!

Later.

nope
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
There are several reasons why you should implement the choice.

If you don''t implement the choice, you don''t have the right to call your program a chess program. It''s something similar, but not chess. There are examples of positions where you need a knight (relatively frequent), a rook (much less frequent) or even a bishop (I don''t know if it has ever happened, but they can be built).

Chess problems are cool too, and they often exploit this type of rules. If you don''t implement the choice, you can''t use your program to study problems.

If your program enters a tournament, you would be disqualified if your opponent promotes to a rook and your program doesn''t allow it.

Of course, my program is mostly text-based and runs under MS-DOS, so I guess we have very different priorities.
The BattleChess AI once took a knight to checkmate, and I was impressed. Since it considers multiple choices, it adds branches to the decision tree.

Cédric

[edited by - cedricl on June 18, 2003 9:37:34 PM]
I pictured a frame with maybe a semi-transparent background being drawn over the current view. Then, the instructions and available pieces drawn inside this frame. Once the player chooses the piece, the frame goes away and you''re off to the races.
quote:Original post by Moondoggy
Oh and Dave Hunt, your solution seems the simplest I have come across so far but I still think it would look ugly and messy to just have pictures appear somewhere in the application window. You do know that it is a 3D application with moving camera and all, I can''t quite understand where in the window would be a good place to draw these pictures of the pieces that you state!

So don''t use pictures, use the models that you already have. Show both the queen and the knight models floating side by side above the board. Alternatively, show a queen in place on the promotion square, and swap it for the knight model once a second or so (maybe with a cool morphing effect). Either way, you click on the appropriate model to complete the move.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
quote:Original post by Plasmadog
Alternatively, show a queen in place on the promotion square, and swap it for the knight model once a second or so (maybe with a cool morphing effect). Either way, you click on the appropriate model to complete the move.

ohhhhhhh I like that idea...
I participed at many chess tournaments, and like some people answer you, you must let the player make his choice.

For example, it is crucial to promote his pawn in knight because if the position is "locked", only a piece which can jump the pawns wall can make troubles to the opponent. Or simply, the player have to make chess to counter the mat and so ....

well, you have no choice, let the choice ...
/* ------------------------ The n00b++ ------------------------ */

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement