What's the deal with teapots

Started by
6 comments, last by LeeIsMe 23 years, 10 months ago
I noticed a while back that just about every 3d modelling program and API have teapots. Teapots aren''t the most useful primitive. http://3d.n3.net/
Advertisement
it''s a tradition.. like the torus or the 3d studio duck . someone, whose name escapes me at the moment, described a 3d teapot with bezier patches back when men were men, sheep were scared and dinosaurs roamed the earth, and it stuck.

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

--Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.
Those damned teapots in the Directx examples bug me cause i can never get texture mapping to work

Yeah, but some of them, like the environment mapping one, looks really cool, so who cares?
-----------------------------1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock." 2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." 3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Dan Quayle4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
i''m quite sure it was Catmull who first described that teapot.
they have stored the original, real world teapot at someplace, can''t remember where, though.
http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1/software/teapot.html

Steven J. Baker outlines the history of the teapot, and it''s
a rather interesting one, and he even has the coords of the vertices you''d use if you wanted to hand-code it

--
Einstein on Quantum Mechanics:
"GOD does not play dice w/ the universe."
Hawking on Einstein:
"GOD not only plays dice with the universe, he tosses them where we can''t see the results."

Srivatsan Raghavan
machinshin@onebox.com - email
I think it''s now semi-officially called the
"teapotahedron"

It''s a great standard model to show off your new graphics techniques, and because it''s such a standard, allows you to compare it almost directly to other people''s work through screenshots;

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:
I noticed a while back that just about every 3d modelling program and API have teapots. Teapots aren''t the most useful primitive.

Maybe the british decided that they''d need it.

quote:
...screenshots;

I''m guessing that you''ve programmed a bit too much C++ today ;

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement