• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billy Lee

Problem when billboarding particles

This topic is 5482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My code is based on NeHe''s lesson 19 particle system. I''m trying to billboard the particles so that they always face the camera but it''s only drawing one triangle per particle, so only half of the particle is drawn.
        // Variables for billboarding

float modelview[16];
	glGetFloatv (GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview);
	float up[3] = {modelview[0], modelview[4], modelview[8]};
	float right[3] = {modelview[1], modelview[5], modelview[9]};

for (loop = 0; loop < MAX_PARTICLES; loop++)
	{
		if (particle[loop].active)									// If particle is active

{
			// Get particle position

float x = particle[loop].x;
			float y = particle[loop].y;
			float z = particle[loop].z + zoom;

// Colour the particle using RGB values. Fade the particle based on its life

glColor4f (particle[loop].r, particle[loop].g, particle[loop].b, particle[loop].life);

// Draw particle

glBegin (GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
				glTexCoord2d(1,1); glVertex3f(x+(up[0]+right[0]), y+(up[1]+right[1]), z+(up[2]+right[2]));	// Top right

glTexCoord2d(0,1); glVertex3f(x+(up[0]-right[0]), y+(up[1]-right[1]), z+(up[2]-right[2]));	// Top left

glTexCoord2d(1,0); glVertex3f(x+(right[0]-up[0]), y+(right[1]-up[1]), z+(right[2]-up[2]));	// Bottom right

glTexCoord2d(0,0); glVertex3f(x+(right[0]+up[0]), y+(right[1]+up[1]), z+(right[2]+up[2]));	// Bottom left

glEnd();
What am I doing wrong? I have a suspicion that I am supposed to add the whole ''up'' and ''right'' vectors instead of e.g. up[0]+right[0] but when I do that, I get an error saying "cannot add two pointers".

Advertisement
Well you are using the exact same coords for the first and last vertex and therefor you draw 2 identical triangles.

You should be subtracting both values instead of adding them to get the coords right.

Eggert Jóhannesson
Kálfhól 1, 801 Selfoss
ICELAND

Örhugi Software

[edited by - Eggert on June 19, 2003 4:23:23 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!