general modding question

Started by
3 comments, last by jeredmckenna 20 years, 10 months ago
I am noob. SO here is my quetion. When modding a game (making cheat codes and putting in little things like extra levels and such...) what exsactly is involved. Do you use the raw programming like c++ or visual basic or what? What is the process by which one goes about modding a game?
Advertisement
It depends on how the game was written. Some games, like quake2 require you to code your own DLL of the main game code, others, such as quake3 are coded differenly and can be modded by writing your own scripts in the language of the engine. Typically this is processed by the engine and used to create the world.
It depends. Some games come with an SDK to help you out. if you want to mod games, half-Life or Unreal Tournament is your best bet. Also, any Quake 3 engine game is good. Quake 3 engine games allow you to use a tool called qeRadiant to design levels. For some games, you can change source code, but others do require raw coding.

Scott Simontis
Engineer in Training
Have a nice day!
Scott SimontisMy political blog
The last modding I did was for Jedi Knight, nearly 4 years ago. That had a wonderful game engine with its own scripting langauge called COG. You simply attached COG files to objects in the level editor, and everything was lovely.

I''ve had a look at the HL SDK and it appears that you''ve got to do all manner of C++ coding to get modding. I''m no stranger to C++, but it seems a bit of overkill when all you want is for a lift to work when you step on it. Are there any recent game engines which use script files in the same way JK did?

[teamonkey]
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
I''d sugest taking alook at Unreal tournament 2003 or even the original UT. I read the docs on the scripting language and i was really impressed. Simple too understand, it''s based off c++ and java but designed with an FPS in mind. Has things like state built right into the language (integrated in to the class member function structure and all). It''s use of inheritance makes the creation of moddified versions of the standard stuff rather simple.

Anyway thats all just from reading up on it. Haven''t actaully made a mod for UT lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement