• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strahan

Transfering connection from one server to another

This topic is 5482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I am working on an 3d online multi-user RPG. I am looking for a tutorial/code on how to transfer a connection from one server to another, preferibly using DirectPlay. If not supported I will have to switch to WinSock. This way I can have multiple machines servicing my game. I have a client/server architecture but currently it only works with one server. Thanks for your help, Mike

Advertisement
I''d say that this post is a good example of the main huge downside of DirectPlay. You don''t even know what''s going on with your connections, how Dx handles them and when you need to do something different, you can''t do anything because don''t have any control on the code...

That kind of stuff is cake with Winsock, you can do just what you want since you know how everything works.

Simple solution, have a message you send to host computer (running your client program) instructing it to connect to the other server and give it IP, port, etc.

Just an off the top of my head idea.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!