• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingbuddha

New game programmer but with good programming knowledge

This topic is 5482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Ive got some ideas in my head for a game I would like to create, but I have no game programming experience, other than moving a character across the screen (without double-buffering). Apart from this, I have a pretty sound understanding of programming in general (I know 16 languages). I am really interested in the idea of mass multi-player games over the Internet. My first question is, which language is best for getting a result? I know C, but never tried C++, and know only a little Java, but reckon I could enhance knowledge of it if need be. I want to make my game as multi-platformed as possible, I dont know anything about programming directX or any graphical code like I said (but arn''t they Windows only?) How would you suggest starting out? Ive ordered a multi-player game programming book, but thats based on directX. I really want to sink my teeth in, without having to go through all that basic stuff first. Please advise. Regards, Mike. --- http://www.MikeHolloway.co.uk

Advertisement
quote:
I want to make my game as multi-platformed as possible

Go with C++ or Java with OpenGL.

C++ is actually easier to use than C, in my opinion (flame war, begin NOW!). The class structure, inheritance, ect... are nice features that make the code clearer. It''s not very difficult, especially if you know C. And the references.... Ahhh if you hate pointers, they are a godsend . C++ is as fast as C, although it could encourage slower methods, but that''s a moot point, it''s so much nicer to use. Get a good C++ programming book, anything by Bjarn Stroustrup (or something ). Can''t remember, but he wrote a definitive book about C++. Hell, he participated in the creation of the C++ language.

C++ or C, opengl, and GLUT (a simple utility library to interface painlessly with Win32 programming). Yeah, this will get you going in no time. Make sure you have a good book, like OpenGL Game Programming, or the OpenGL red book (more academical, and requires you to know a bit about vectors and matrices).

C/C++ is definitely your best bet as a main language. For games I think you could get by well on C alone, if you don''t want to jump to C++. I actually started the other way - learned C++ first in 1992, and have never used C by itself. Things like VB and Java are aimed at different developers and don''t deliver the kind of control you need to develop - and especially optimize - a game.

For cross-platform, make sure you stay away from MFC - the Microsoft Foundation Classes - and Directx, Microsoft''s graphics system. They are good systems, but the hook you into Windows-only (thank you Bill Gates).

Platform-independent libraries include the STL - Standard Template Library - a standard library for lists, arrays, etc.; OpenGL - cross-platform graphics interface, equivalent to DirectX (Microsoft actually adopted the OpenGL structure and syntax, I understand); and SDL - the Simple Direct-media Library - which provides interfaces to the keyboard, mouse, audio card, etc.

Hi guys,

Cheers, that info is really useful and I was kinda hoping you would say to go with C++ because I think I will have more of an idea than trying to relearn Java.

I shall now look for books on C++ and openGL.

Regards,
Mike.

---
http://www.MikeHolloway.co.uk

quote:
Original post by SDyer
OpenGL - cross-platform graphics interface, equivalent to DirectX (Microsoft actually adopted the OpenGL structure and syntax, I understand);

Ehh...first, OpenGL is not the equivalent to DirectX, however OpenGL does the same tasks (interfacing the 3d hardware) as Direct3D (which is a PART of DirectX). Furthermore, DirectX is based of COM and is OO while OpenGL is function-based.

-Luctus

Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]

I''m also planning and prototyping for an MMO and found the book Massively Multiplayer Game Development to be very helpful.

Also, if you do go with C++ (my first choice), I highly recommend the book C++ For Game Programmers. If you''re familiar with programming languages already (especially C++), it''s a really good introduction to _application_ of C++ to gaming. It covers memory allocation, abstraction, data structures, optimization, and a slew of other extremely practical topics. I think most of us can agree that syntax is the easy part of programming; application is where things get tricky.

BTW, C++ is very easy to pick up if you''re familiar with C. If you''re not familiar with OO (object oriented) design, however, I would spend some time learning that up front (the book above will help). C programmers often make one of two mistakes starting out: 1) they write C and never take advantage of the benefits of C++ or 2) even worse, they overuse OO principles.

Also, if you truly want to be cross-platform, you really don''t have any choice but go OpenGL (or at least to support it).

bpopp (bpopp.net)

Learn C++. Some people still hang on to C, like John Carmack, but you are missing out on OOP and other coding tends. Also, start small. A MMO game is a very large step, as you need to know how to do everything. First, try just a simple texdt-based game with C++ to learn the basics. After you understand everything, move on to a MUD so you can do online games. A MUD is a text-based game that has online support. Then, make your way to 2D, then 3D, and by that time you will be ready to make a game.

Scott Simontis
Engineer in Training
Have a nice day!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!