• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anotherfantasy

Can I use DD and D3D simultaneously?

This topic is 5485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I use direct draw along with direct 3d at the same time in the same program or is it unnecessary? If I want to draw a .X model and then use my own font engine that utilizes direct draw, can I have it display the text and the model at the same time? Or are the 2d drawing functions embedded in Direct3d? If I initialize Direct 3D, is Direct Draw automatically initialized?

Advertisement
From Direct 8 and beyond DirectDraw is now part of Direct3D. You can very easily do the whole font engine thingy with a 3d model, input, a quake style sonsole system, and a controllable camera... Check out the book, Zen of Direct3D Game Programming, thats pretty much what the book goes over...

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google

DirectX 7 was the last one where Direct3D was built on top of DirectDraw.

For DirectX 8, use D3DFont.cpp to get really fast fonts.

2D is done with billboarding in DX8+. To display a tile you just texture a quad and point it directly at the user.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com

KalvinB - (to Jessika) do you accept Jesus as your lord and savior

Jessika - Sure I can accept all forms of payment.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!