No avator!?

Started by
18 comments, last by Jebediah 20 years, 9 months ago
How come there are no avators? Space? Can''t ya remotly link ''em? Oh and a post counter would be nice. Its easier to tell apart the newbs and the vets with post counts. The only problem with this is that it will influence people to spam and post crap. But I would still be for it.
Advertisement
Avatars, in my opinion are pointless. And there already is a post counter, it is within a persons profile.
"...."
Yes but you hafta click on profile to view it. I never think to do this....it would be more convenient if it was under your name. There is a reason why almost every other forum does this. And I want an avator!!!

Gamedev.net will always be one of the best sites for game development but it could be so much more.
Yeah, adding avatars would bring so much more to this forum.

But seriously, avatars piss me off. They are so invasive. And huge sigs. Too much space taken up, too much bandwidth for a dial-up, and it just makes it possible for people to have really stupid/massive pictures.
Avatars and huge sigs really don''t fit with the theme of this site. They belong on anime and fan-boy forums, where people have sigs 3-4 times larger then there average somewhat resembling english post. Showing the post count beside a users name would only encourage crap posting to increase that visible status symbol. That is the reason post rankings where removed in the first place.
I don''t really like avatars. They are fairly annoying and they make a forum seem really wacky. Not to mention it can make a page load very slowly for people with a slow connection.
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
quote:Original post by Jebediah
The only problem with this is that it will influence people to spam and post crap.
That's exactly why we removed them three years ago.

And honestly, I fail to see how avatars and post counts would have even the slightest bearing on our usefulness as a game development site.
Since when did post counts differentiate newbies and vets?

The quality of the response should be all you require to tell the difference.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
One time I went to a website that had the things Jebediah suggested. I though how it was stupid how people looked down on others because of their post counts. I don''t think that someone should be given the title of "Newbie" based on their post count (which is what some people do).
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
Ya your right. The more I think about it the more it seems like a bad idea. There is already too much crap in here.

Here is another bad idea: A ranking system. People can rank posters. Kinda like an alignment system. And people who suck get banned. That would encourage people to post useful information and help others. And it would discourage flaming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement