pointer arrrays

Started by
4 comments, last by hello_there 20 years, 10 months ago
i want to make a pointer to and array like this [size][3] in c++. size is a number loaded from a file. but i don''t know how cause i tried a few way but it didn''t work. anyone know how?
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Advertisement
Easiest is to do the multiply yourself:

float * f = new float[ size*3 ];

float0fromnth = f[ n*3 ];
float1fromnth = f[ n*3+1 ];
float2fromnth = f[ n*3+2 ];

If you really want the array like that, that should work fine, as the "last" sizer of the array can be dynamic, but the others cannot.

float * f = new float[size][3]; // works
float * f = new float[3][size]; // doesn''t work

Here''s some code:

float (*f)[3];

void func( int size )
{
f = new float[size][3];
}

Remember that declarations read from in to out, first right, and then left (paying attention to parens).

Thus:

float *f[3]; // f is array of 3 elements of pointer to float
float (*f)[3]; // f is pointer to array of 3 elements of float
so if i did this

float (*f)[3];
f = new float[size][3];

will it make and array of size size and each size has 3 floats?
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
* typedef propaganda *

typedef float vector3[3];vector3 * v = new vector3[size];
Oh, btw, a more C++-ish way (yeah I know new is kinda C++ already) :

vector<vector<float> > v;v.resize( size, vector( 3 ) );// and if you have some boost or other lib with stackvector<stack<3,float> > v;v.resize( size );
I believe that what you are trying to do is dynamically allocated a two-dimensional array:
int Height = ... ;int Width  = ... ; // allocationfloat** array2D = new float*[Height];for (int i = 0; i < Height; ++i)    array2D[ i ] = new float[Width]; // use, e.g.array2D[2][3] = 5.6farray2D[5][9] = 1.3farray2D[0][0] = 3.14f // deallocation (free)for (int i = 0; i < Height; ++i)    delete [] array2D[ i ];delete [] array2D;

This will create a two-dimensional array the same size (dimension) of this static 2D array:

float staticArray2d[Height][Width];

For an explanation on how this works, have a look on the GDNet forum search or on Google.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || MSDN || STL || GameCoding || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on June 19, 2003 4:27:46 PM]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement