• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Alchemist

C bitfields

This topic is 5578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

whats the deal of C bitfields? i mean... you see those things in old books and such... but i never saw anyone using it, why they dont use it? does it became obsolete or something? YOU CANT BLAME ME FOR TRYING!! Immortality

Advertisement
Its not obsolete, however (according to Data Structures for Game Programmers) they are actually slower than just having an array of ints. However, due to the low memory needed for them, they are usefull for MMORPG''s to minimize data transfer. So its basically the size vs speed issue. Nowadays local memory isnt that critical, so its ok to take a little more room.

Every time you see a binary or (''|'') (hey looks like a smiley) operator in WINAPI, it''s kinda a bitfield, you know ;p

Bitfields are all over the place, they''re just behind the scenes so you don''t see them as much.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!